status

Started by kdogae86, March 28, 2010, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Ok guys,

Wed night I went back up to Bill's house. Big-K road shotgun in my 2 and enjoyed the ride. :D My friends Kyle (88_Pathy) (Evo 9) and Reece (crocodile WRX Turbo) went up there with me which made a fun drive!

We pushed out Bill's white MR2 and his son's Silver MR2 that were both in the back garage. So now the garage is empty and ready for the red LeMons car :D

Unfortunately I left my camera at Kevin's so there are no pics with this update :-\

Also, Bill removed the firewall between the engine compartment and the trunk of the White car. IT LOOKS GREAT!! There is SO MUCH room to get in there, direct access to the entire intake manifold, axles, transaxle, alternator, belt, it's great! He also cut a large area out of the front firewall between the radiator and the trunk, and will modify the hood to make a reverse hood scoop and see how that all works out. We are experimenting with different ideas on the White car, and will take this knowledge to apply to the new Red LeMons car.

Last night (Thurs) I had planned on towing the Red car up to Bills house, but mid-way through the work day I was invited to a special dinner with some vendors so I had to cancel my LeMons plans for the evening. Sorry about that Kevin!

The next time I will be available to tow the red car up to Bills will be Monday evening. I am gonna need some help with it. Can anyone ride shotgun with me in the tow rig up to Bills Monday evening? I will pay for the gas, or you could follow me in your own car (which would be better to keep the 5-0 off my tail). I get off work at 4p and it will take a good 30 mins to get the trailer and get over to Kevin's to load the car. Kevin lives near Willow and Gettysburg and this is where the Red LeMons car is right now.

So if you can help on Monday, please post up!

Thanks
Mike
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

Need a sheet of peg board to build splitter. The little holes will create a turbulant air layer (boundary layer) and reduce aerodynamic friction losses! And if I'm full of crap, it makes a helluva addition to out story on the buildup of the car. Besides, when porting a cylinder head you don't want a perfectly smooth port. A little roughness on the port wall creates a bounday layer, red...................... Hell, it works in the intake port, why not apply it here.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

As for someone riding shotgun or following in their vehicle. I can follow, but it would be advantageous to have extra bodies to push the car around. And if someone else wants to follow, my coming down would be a waste of time and gas. I'll try to contact you tomorrow, see what's up. Might bring a couple of brooms to sweep the dirt out of the barn.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Previous weight savings @ 60-65 lbs. Passenger seat kicks in 32 lbs. Driver seat 35 lbs, but we might be using that one. A light weight bucket seat would cut that in half, but comfort goes out the door without the adjustment the stock seat affords. Sooo.... Weight difference from stock battery @ 10 lbs. Tail light assembly is 8 lbs. The intake ducting we won't be using is 9 lbs. Catalytic converter and corresponding u-bend piping a whopping 13 lbs. Flywheel I have to use is a 9 pounder, stock comes in at a portly 15 lbs. 6 lb saving, but the real advantage comes in the reduction of rotating mass. All that adds up to 143 pounds of useless ballast. I'm sure the roll cage will add about 45 lbs. Still a 100 pound savings! That's worth a tenth of a second in the quarter mile sprint in my Celica when it was pushing 140 horse. I'll get more of this as we get things removed from the car. A/C, door guts and inner sheetmetal, dash and underpinnings, glass, the 20 pounds of dirt and grime on the engine. I think we can get close to the 2000 lb mark! I could stand to loose a few pounds myself. I'd love to see the scale tip at 165!! How much time can you put into this thing next week? If I bring a few things down, can you do a weigh, plasma cut, weigh? Doors, steering column, steering column support.

Sirdeuce

Anybody have a reliable source for the curb weight on an MR2? I get 2189 to 2360 lbs.

BigMike

My car weighed in at 2440 1 month ago with under half a tank of gas. And remember this is with the added weight of the GZE.

We can get Chee's car weighed for a GE comparison.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Thanks for the weight info. If you weigh Chee's car, please take note of any HEAVY aftermarket parts, like a speaker box.

Sirdeuce

On the red 2. Finished gutting the interior today. Lots of useless trash came from that. I have that small GT steering wheel. The smaller wheel will help with the speed of the turns, but will fatigue your arms at a greater rate. I might need some help with the engine removal from the white 2. Anybody have the time?

Sirdeuce

Basic interior.

BigMike

oh WOW Bill, you've been busy, now you and Kevin are interior pros ;D

I am in San Jose right now through Monday night. I *might* be able to come up Tues night, not sure yet though because I have to pack for the Round-Up as I am leaving on Wednesday.

So if I can't make it next Tues, then it won't be until like the 13th to come up :o Sorry man, it's just that these three weeks (last weekend, this weekend, next) are packed.

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Found my fish scale. Got a chance to weigh a complete door. My scale goes to 50lbs. The door exceeds that weight, but a guesstimate would be between 55 and 60 lbs. Gutting the doors would net close to 90lbs. With that, our MR2 diet loses the car @190lbs. 200lbs more and we have a pretty light car! Get crazy enough............. What was the weight to power savings??? 100lbs is equl to a horsepower gain of 10??

Sirdeuce

Battery tray is out! Damn thing had 3 more welds than usual! It's like....they knew!I really don't suggest using a grinder while wearing shorts, especially material that can be melted to your leg!! Started cutting trunk firewall out, but my batteries were dead, decided to call it a day. Got to nurse my wounds.

Sirdeuce

Trunk firewall is out. This pic shows a strut brace idea. This is a spare from the front of an MR2. A little modification, and it should work fine.

Sirdeuce

Not a good picture, but picture the wheelwell with holes for venting the air from around the tire. Box the area in with something thin and light to direct the air out the taillight holes.

BigMike

Wow you are making me really excited to get back up there

In all honestly this week is no good for me :( I am still in San Jose right now, and will be home around 1am tonight. Then tomorrow (Tues) I have school until 6pm and then I have to pick up my truck from Rocky's house and then get it packed to leave for the Rubicon Wednesday morning. I won't be back home until Sunday (Sept 12) night.....
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤