status

Started by kdogae86, March 28, 2010, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

So, you'll be here Monday? When you do come over, bring a load from Kevins. 'Till then, I'll just keep on keepin' on.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Disassembled the front today. Found a few things that need a little 'brute finesse', not all the metal is straight. Might need to go to
Pick-n-Pull for a few items too. First pic is a pile going to the trash bin. Second is a neeto bit of expanded steel we might be able to use.
Third is some moulding I decided to keep for protection from the exposed edges. Sorry the focus is not perfect.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Got the cutting done for the rerouting of the radiator cooling air. First pic is the hole I cut out. See how big a smile it has now!? Second is the hole behind the radiator where the air used to route to the bottom of the car. I'll fill this with spray in insulating foam and reinforce it with a thin layer of fiberglass. The crossmember you see in the front of the hole is where the lip of the front spoiler attaches, and the radiator sits. This piece was bent a bit. I jumped up and down on it for awhile. Seems to have gone back to close to where it was supposed to be. The front spoiler is a mess. I would like to se if we could get one at the wrecker. Third pic, sawzall is not a precise surgical instrument. Fourth is the front bumper from the backside. Lots of steel here. I think we could extend the Poupe's diet to this piece, maybe the rear too. Maybe remove the rear bumper altogether.

Sirdeuce

Here's the insulating foam. 8 bucks a can. A can goes a long way. Very light weight.  A thin layer of fiberglass and the strength goes up quite  a bit. Not good for structural reinforcement, but a lightweight, cheap material for r&d and shaping. Can be carved and sanded after it sets up.  You'll be seeing a bit of this on the Poupe'.

Sirdeuce

A few more areas to perform a little 'lipo' on the 2.
Frunk hood, 32 lbs
Trunk hood, 15 lbs
Engine cover, 13 lbs
Front bumper, 30 lbs
Rear bumper, 32 lbs
That totals 122lbs. With some creative work we may be able to lose 40 to 50 lbs here. There's a lot of metal that won't be necessary for the track. The hoods have the support structure that is designed to keep sheetmetal straight for an extended period. Unnecessary here, cut it all out. The front hood can lose a little on the top, I'll use 'glass the diredct the air up and out. Replace the foam in the bumpers with lighter 2 lbcuft foam and cut the steel a bit. Only really need the structure hold the general shape of the bumper. Also planning on replacing a lot of metal and plastic mouldings with foam.

Sirdeuce

Here's an idea for the rear visor!! Replace the TOYOTA decals with TOYLETA!

BigMike

Everything looks great Bill! I like the TOYLETA idea! 30-32 pounds per bumper! Dang! I need to remove the metal frame of my rear bumper to help my weight distribution.

I'll be up there tomorrow evening and will bring a pair of jack stands. What else can I carry in my 2?
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

Jackstands aren't necessary, found mine. Basically need extra hands. I have a welding box up here. You might like it. Stopped at Kevin's today and picked up a load of poupe'. See hoe far we can get from here. See you tomorrow.

BigMike

Hey, I've got a great idea. How about if we take the car and
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

And...........................??

Sirdeuce

Got a little more done on the Poupe'
#1 is my friend Isaac, a welder
#2 is The Stick
#3 is the frunk hood, 1 piece!
#4 is the engine lid and trunk, 1 piece!

Sirdeuce

Not much done today
Pic 1, brake light installed on top
Pic 2, moved spoiler back

Sirdeuce

I'm thinking that this would be best for the exhaust. light weight and size being 14" long, 6" diameter. We can even use the tip. Tip and muffler together will allow a straight through exhaust.

Sirdeuce

Here's a pic of the white car with part of the mod I have in mind to duct the radiator air. Notice how it blocks and routes the air into the frunk area.  From the way it looks, it should flow more air through the radiator than the stock route. The foam is really quite strong, but a layer of 'glass would improve that a bit. I will continue into the corners of the 'smile' cutout with the foam on the car we are building for lemons though. Weight gained is in the ounces, probably 6 to 8. I will mold in holes for the radiator hoses. This was just a little R&D.

kdogae86

looks like major progress