Oil viscosity and additives

Started by Sirdeuce, August 18, 2010, 11:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Moly, HP additives, Lucas, teflon, X90, Any of these things you have used? Raising or lowering gear oil vis for a race? Engine oil viscosity, how far would you go? Do you think we could get by with a 5w-20 synthetic for the duration? 0w20? 0w15? Or do we play it safe since we really don't know much about the engine? I know teflon is a joke. The additive X90(I think that was what it was called[snake oil maybe]) seemed promising. What have you heard of or used?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Anybody have expeience with, or knows anyone that has experience with PX3 oil additives? Might be a consideration for the Poupe'.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Nope. Have you heard of MaxiLube? We are a distributor for it and apparently, you know, "it's the best" :ha_ha:
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Here is the website: http://www.maxilube.com

I've used it before in my MR2 and I plan on using it with my 6spd also (when I flush it next week). I don't know how it compares to other products but I buy it just to support Marlin and Tony's Automotive (that is where we sell it, through Tony at the other shop).

-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

If it actually reduces friction and increases laod capability of the oil then it's worth it.