Lightening rotating assembly

Started by Sirdeuce, April 17, 2010, 08:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Better to lighten flywheel or engine internals? Light weight crank, rods, pistons, with standard weight flywheel. or just removing half the flywheel mass with standard weight internals?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

The flywheel has the largest diameter and thus the largest moment of inertia. Any change to it will make a greater difference than changes made to internal components.

If we can only do one and not both, then I say standard internals with a light weight flywheel. Also we'll retain the durability of the stronger engine internals.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

How 'bout the case of a torquer? 22R in a 4X4 truck. Lighten internals, but use a heavy flywheel.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Reciprocating mass is as reciprocating mass does. The case for a truck would be to build up inertia so that slight inclines in the road has less affect on the vehicles velocity, and also when rock crawling, so that a sudden drivetrain impulse doesn't overpower the idle speed torque output of the engine.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Just trying to find a way to reduce overall mass while keeping enough energy stored to lug those low rpm loads. I guess I was thinking it would be better to have all the weight in the flywheel instead of spread throughout the engine.

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on April 18, 2010, 06:04:13 PM
I guess I was thinking it would be better to have all the weight in the flywheel instead of spread throughout the engine.

I think we should do both: light internals and light flywheel. What flywheel are we going to use? We could use my 9-pounder if yours is crazy light.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

My flywheel is 9lbs, 200mm. Yours may be better if it's a 212mm.

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤