1993 MR2 Turbo project car.

Started by BryanH, August 16, 2010, 02:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

I haven't had time to read the thread. Also, we currently don't have internet at home, so my time online right now is limited.

If you can, try to keep the R-12. It blows colder. Also, the A/C compressor will NOT engage if the system is low on freon.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BryanH

Blargh... haven't touched it since I last posted here.  I hate working on cars!   :hammerhead:

I bought some SpeedBleeders so I could do a one man brake fluid flush and then I got confused with the wording in the BGB.  In the brake bleeding section it says something like:  "Bleed master cylinder if it has been removed or has become empty." 

Well, um... define "empty!" 

From page 1:

The fluid level was below the MIN line but not completely gone.  Looks like there's a front and rear chamber in the MC reservoir and the front chamber did go empty.  I filled it right after taking that photo. 

If I have to bleed the MC I'll need help from an expert.  I checked and I can't stand by the door and operate the brake and reach my hand to the MC at the same time.  :p 

During the brake bleed I'm going to change the oil as well.  Once the brakes are back to life I'm driving the car straight to the gas station with a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner.  Need to put good fuel in and keep the fuel system happy.    Will need to pump up the tires at the gas station too - got to remember to bring quarters.  One tire will likely not hold air so that one will have to get patched.

After all of that, I need to get the AC fixed.  Hopefully just a re-charge of Freon will do it. 

The car's due for smog/registration next week.  Hopefully with fresh oil and purging the old fuel from the system, it can still pass after sitting for 18 months.  Poor car.   :down:

BryanH

I also want to fix the leak at the ABS actuator.  It's tough to get access in there though and I can't tell where the leak is coming from.  I'm guessing it's more likely a fitting than part of the unit itself but I don't know. 

It's a slow leak, so I can still drive and race the car but it's still annoying.  Stripping paint off the frunk and requiring top-ups every month or so.

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Bryan, just a note on the 'pay' compressors at gas stations. If you are topping your tire pressure off, or filling your radiator at the same station you purchase your fuel. California made a law that the station must provide the air and, or water free of charge. You only have to pay for the resouces if you are there only for the air or water. Just ask the attendant for the compressor to be turned on. most places will have a switch under the counter or provide tokens. I realise you are independently wealthy, but a buck's a buck! Get the air for free, throw the dollar away on a lottery ticket for me!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

kdogae86

hey bri if you need any help with bleeding or anything let me know. i am pretty decent at doing mechanical stuff and dont live too far away.never really that busy during the evening

BryanH

Hey thanks Kevin.  I should try to do the brake bleed myself but if I run into trouble I'll know who to call.  :yesnod:

I kindof want to get the ABS actuator leak fixed before flushing the brakes, you know, so I don't have to do it again if the leak gets worse.

I checked the pipe fittings which are all tight and dry. As best I could determine by diving head first into the frunk (:haha:) the leak is coming from the bottom of the unit, possibly in the middle or towards the front. Where could the leak be coming from if not from a fitting? The BGB doesn't show me anything useful really. I would imagine something important like an ABS actuator would be very well sealed as a unit, with any leaks most likely coming from the fittings but that doesn't appear to be the case. Unless there's a tiny fitting on the bottom that can't be seen.

I haven't found any photos of the underside of a 93-95 MR2 ABS actuator...

The braking system and ABS function normally (or at least they did last time I drove the car). I'm just tired of wiping up fluid from the frunk floor.  The leak was faster any time I used the ABS, like at an autocross.  Just sitting there or driving around town the leak was slower.

kdogae86

is that dot 5 stuff? not supposed to use it in abs cars. stuff can be hard on seals if the seals are used to dot 3,4.clean the unit using brake clean(carefulll of paint) the go out and slam on the brakes real hard than use a mirror to look all around the thing. probably pointing out the obvious here though

BryanH

It's ATE SuperBlue which I think is DOT4.  It's not the synthetic stuff for show cars if that's what you're asking.  It's a budget racing fluid - last I checked it had the highest boiling point per dollar ratio out there.

Actually I should have been more clear since the MK2 is a mystery to this group :sly: .  The ABS actuator has metal plates/covers attached to it on the underside, and the location of the unit means you can't remove the covers without removing the whole unit.  I'm reluctant to do that for fear a new leak from the fittings will crop up or something (not to mention the mess it will make!).  The under-covers are shaped in a way that they control the flow of leaking fluid like an irrigation system.  The source is hiding.

I suppose for now I'll just let the leak be and hope it doesn't get worse. 

BryanH

Well I found a cheap ABS actuator replacement but it's from a 91T.  Which had different brake rotors, calipers, master cylinder and prop valve (and maybe the booster too?).  Trying to find out if there are any real differences between the ABS actuators for the early and late Turbo brakes.

Turns out my 93T has an ABS actuator from a 91-95 NA and it works really well... so who knows.  I'm so cornfused!  I've known a couple people with 91-92 cars who have had ABS/braking trouble, ice mode kind of stuff, and my car never has so I want to make sure it still performs that way.

BigMike

You know the last time I removed the ABS actuator from my 1987 MR2 I was able to replace it without damaging any lines and the ABS system is still squeaky clean today
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BryanH

Ok so this isn't about my 93T (which runs and drives but still needs a new exhaust and a/c fixed) but I found some pics of my old red '87 NA->SC.  These are from 2010.

Looks like it had the front bumper replaced (or got some bad scratches), front corner markers are now amber isntead of clear, it's got a Toysport-style front lip (aren't original Toysport lips for 85-86 bumpers only?), front wheels are from the Spyder (mismatched for why??).  It also looks lower than I had it when I sold it.