I was unware that today is National Street Racing day

Started by BigMike, October 18, 2010, 07:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

So I just got to Panera Bread over at Sierra Vista Mall.

Leaving my house, I head north on Fowler towards HWY168. The speed limit here is 45 MPH and I rarely go over 50 due to a lot of traffic, children at play, joggers, etc. A car pulls in front of me after Butler and we slow to about 40 MPH. Out of now where some car comes right up on my butt and just starts ass-grabbing me. So I slowly merge over to the side of the lane so he can see there is a car in front of me, and he pulls back. I notice he is a truck, the headlights look like a newer Toyota 4Runner but I'm not sure yet.

We make our way to Fowler and Belmont where it turns into a 2 lane road. Everyone always has a hard-on to get into the #1 lane in preparation for the upcoming HWY168-West on-ramp. I always play it calm knowing that I will smoke any car on the 2-lane 270-degree uphill on ramp. As soon as the 2nd lane opens up, this guy behind me jumps in and slows for the red light at Belmont. Sure enough it's a black 4Runner, like a 2005+ model. He has some aftermarket black wheels with low profile tires.

The light at Belmont turns green but there is still 1 more light before the on-ramp and it is red. I'd say the 4Runner goes 75% throttle to defend the #1 lane. No big deal for me, and I slowly merge over behind him as if I am not in any hurry. This last red light turns green right before we get to the intersection and the 4Runner maintains his speed entering the on-ramp corner. I am thinking "Hey cool, finally someone who knows how to merge onto a freeway faster than 20 MPH"

So we get going on the 2-lane 270-degree up-hill right-turn on ramp, the 4Runner in the inside lane and me in the outside lane. Entering the on ramp he is a good 4 to 5 car lengths on me. I always anticipate people braking more than me so I always keep my distance so I can maintain a higher cornering speed. I enter the corner in 3rd gear which means it will be a quick and fun entry onto the freeway. Once I make the corner there is a short 100-yard straight before the remaining 180-degree corner onto the freeway. I quickly close the gap and enter the main corner bumper to bumper.

This CRAZY 4Runner guy is totally determined to enter the freeway ahead of me and he totally pushes the 4WD truck to its limits. I as well have to give it everything I've got to overtake him in the outside lane. So here we are going all out on the on-ramp, both vehicles tires squealing like crazy, lower pitch for his and a higher pitch for mine. At the end of the corner I am already at least 2 car lengths ahead of him and as soon as traction permits I take my tach all the way to 8,300 RPM in 3rd gear and power shift into 4th.

It wasn't much of a contest, even from the beginning, but I believe this is the first time anyone has seriously challenged me on that on-ramp like that. Usually people enter the corner with waay too much speed for their car and have to brake heavy and ugly. But this guy actually gave it a good effort, he was just not in a MR2.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

So I exit the freeway at the 1st exit and head north on Clovis Ave towards Sierra Vista Mall. I approach a red light at Olive Ave and when it goes green some white Chevy Astro van (or a larger newer model) comes off the line right with me. I am looking over at him wondering what's up and short shift every gear to 60 MPH and then cruise.

We get to Clinton and hit a red light. It goes green and this Chevy van straight up takes off at 100% completely unannounced. I short shift into 2nd before I notice while he pulls hard away from me. I keep it in 2nd and lay down the boost quickly over taking him before 3rd gear.

The van holds 60-65 MPH with me, staying a few car lengths behind me, and then he suddenly slams on the brakes and makes a right turn at Gettysburg.

Okay, interesting, I've never been challenge twice in a row like that since reviving the car in May.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Then, the next intersection is Ashlan and I slow down for the red light. I am in the #1 lane and next to me in the #2 lane (middle lane) there is a white Acura CL 3.2-liter V6, lowered, chrome wheels, and some hottie in the passengers seat. I pay no mind, light goes green and I short shift into 2nd gear under full boost to make sure he knows this MR2 packs the torque. He responds to this by lurching a bit, clearly testing to see what I would do. So I counter his lurch with one of my own before reaching for 3rd gear. While changing gears he stuffs it and I have to accelerate up to nearly red line in 3rd to overtake him.

So now we're doing like 80+ on Clovis and as soon as he sees me passing him he slams on the brakes, changes into the #3 lane and slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down to like 30 MPH. I slow all the way down to about 45 and he is still slower, so I just say forget it and accelerate back up to the speed limit.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

So there is how my drive to Panera Bread went tonight. Three races in less than 5 mins.

I thought the Acura was a stick-shift, but according to Wikipedia very few were produced save the Type-S model, which I am sure it wasn't. He was definitely fully getting it, what ever it was. I was really impresses how I could chase him down and overtake him.

Looking at the stats of that Acura, it was a 2nd gen, and it should have 225 HP and weighs 3470 pounds. Power-to-weight is therefore 15.4:1. My car should have 145 HP and weighs 2440 pounds giving me a 16.8:1 ratio. Really, I shouldn't have taken him, not by a long shot. Granted he had a chick in the car, so his ratio could be as high as 15.9 or 16:1, but still, better than mine.

I am still puzzled how I just beat a 225 HP V6 Acura with only 145 HP.

Ok, time to study, at least I thought that's why I came all the way out here lol

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

hahaha ok guys

So after we finished at Panera bread, when I turned onto Clovis ave heading back south to home, a new Toyota Celica goes hauling by doing 60+. So I speed up to about 70 and there is no way, he is just gone. So I slow back and cruise at the regular 60. A couple mins later we are approaching Shields and it turns red forcing the Celica to brake pretty hard. So I was like SWEET! Is it a GT-S? Is it a GT-S? I get up to the light finally, and yup, GT-S. It is lowered and has gray 6 spoke wheels. We make eye contact and then wait for the light. I'm not sure if he is gonna go for it or not so we'll see what happens.

Then, right before our light goes green, a city Police Dodge pulls up to the light on east bound Shields. He has his right blinker on to turn onto south-bound Clovis. I was like "OHHH COME AWN!!"

So the light goes green, and the Celica guy takes off pretty good. He didn't chirp his tires, but he let's me know he can move, and I'm like "DUDE! DIDN'T YOU SEE THE COP??"

As soon as we get going the cop pulls out behind us. At first he was in the lane behind the Celica and then he moves into the lane behind me. I'm doing no more than 55 MPH (it's a 50 zone) and the Celica guy is gone, he is doing at least 60 and never lets up. This continues for THREE MORE RED LIGHTS. OHHH MAN I WANTED TO RACE A GT-S SO BAD to see what the newer Toyota VVTL-i can do!! That cop followed us ALL THE WAY to Kings Canyon.

WOW. So I almost got to race a GT-S on this same day. MAN what a crazy night. I didn't know it was National Street Racing Day.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

The pot smokers have 4/20 as their day, 4:20 PM on April 20 all the hop heads spark up! Hmmmmm. Can we start a day like this? Bet the cops fall on this fast and hard!! At least on 4/20 the (ahem) 'law'  stands back a bit, and let's it happen. Yeah, national motorsports day! Not street racing day.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

I like the people with American muscle! My favorite was a Camaro! I was leading my brother to my house one sunny Fresno day. He was on his motorcycle, I was in my Corolla. Getting on the 168 W off Bullard. This Camaro shoots past me, turns in a foot or two off my bumper to get the inside onramp lane! Y'know, can't be behind that Jap crap, not in MY V-8 powered muscle car, NO WAY!! Well, if you are going to show up the guy in the underpowered piece of Jap crap don't cut him off and slow way down! I dropped to 2nd, grabbed the outside lane, went around this cocky prick! Sideways! I could see the look on his face as I went by him, I was looking in his windshield! Figured he would try to pass after we got on the freeway. I think he pissed himself, he never even tried to catch up! My brother said the guy never got up to the speed limit after that. I guess that's one of those guys that needs a big engine as a set of prosthetic testicles. Too bad he couldn't use them. Wuss.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Touge!? just about any time I like! The shot down Burrough Valley road can be a blast! How 'bout a shot to Trimmer Springs! Sucks being stuck driving just a Tacoma though.

BigMike

I like old muscle cars and I have a lot of respect for them, but it's always a great story when they try to dance in the fire far outside their comfort zone hahahaha

Quote from: Sirdeuce on October 19, 2010, 09:05:49 PM
Sucks being stuck driving just a Tacoma though.
That's no ordinary Tacoma.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

As Tacomas go, it's ordinary. As small pick-ups go, nothing ordinary there! It's a Toyota! Even so, it feels like I'm driving a Buick 225.

BigMike

Don't play coy with me Bill, I know you've transplanted a Supercharged 2.7-liter 3RZ-FE in there with a close ratio gear box and a limited slip rear diff.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Not yet, but how'd you know what I was thimking about? Hey! what am I thinking now?

Sirdeuce

Remember the little '77 Celica I used to have? The little green pile I liked so much? One night on McKinley I was sitting at a light and what pulled up next to me? A honda. He revved on me and I thought what the hell. Light turned green and off we went. I shifted at 3000 RPM, actually getting into 5th gear between lights. The Honda guy was bouncing the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. I beat him through 3 lights that way, by about 2 lenghts! 4th light I decided to light him up! Green light!  :burnout: Shifted the 20R at 7200 RPM! I gained a length off the light! By 3rd gear I had a good 5 lenghths! Next light he turned left, I ahh, followed. I hit it and had no reply from the Honda. Another left, and again, no reply. I guess he gave up!? I think that little 2.4 liter 20R was putting out 160 or so lbs of torque! It pulled hard from about 2000 RPM, probably peaked around 4000 RPM on the torque. Probably about 140 to 150 hp, peaked around 6200 RPM, but dropped off hard at 7100 RPM. It was a lot of fun to run that car! Oh how I miss it. This same car I took Marlin to the airport UPS terminal. Me, Marlin 3 t-cases, a trans in a packer and a complete trans withdual t-cases in the trunk with a few other miscellaneous boxes. Had to make a U-turn on Clinton, and traffic was not being very accommodating. A hole came in the traffic. I hit it, spun the rear around and got up to speed without disrupting traffic one iota! Marlin had a surprised look on his face! Later he told me how impressed he was with the power I was getting out of that engine. Yeah I miss it.

Sirdeuce

Wow! I never thought anyone driving an HHR would attempt to run in the hills! Tried to pass one the other day, and, they tried to shut me down. Tried and failed! Miserably!!I was in my Taco, so not much of a competition. Uh, yeah, right. The HHR is underpowered worse than the little Taco. Hey, don't bring a spoon to a knife fight! Unless you are plannung on eating shit! Just get outta my way.