MR2 Radiator Air Flow- Killing Two Birds with One Stone

Started by BigMike, November 26, 2010, 03:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Here is something to keep in mind...

When repositioning the radiator and redirecting air flow up and out through a reverse hood scoop, we are not only reducing pressure underneath the car, but we are also creating DOWN FORCE for the front axle :thumbs:

The green reaction force I drew is the vertical component. It's just for illustration anyway

So if we make sure the radiator is firmly supported by the chassis, we can take advantage of the "spoiler" effect from each radiator fin :yesnod:

So it's not just the air going over the hood and windshield, it's also the force acting directly on the radiator too
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

See what it would take to reposition the radiator. Mayyybee we can do it.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

:thumbs: Find out how so I can do it to my car next spring lol
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

We have a car to do all the R&D we want! At least until I cut it into itty bitty pieces and take it to the recyclers.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Which reminds me, please check the rack and pinion and steering components, and if they are in good shape, I'd like to put them on my car. My steering rack is getting worse, it is really loose. It's got almost 300,000 miles!

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

BigMike

Sounds good. I want to get a complete bushing kit for my entire car -- like the one you have for the Poupe -- once I start working full time and get some mula put aside for my baby. It is likely it is just some extremely worn out steering bushings and nothing wrong with the rack/pinion itself. I've never had a single bushing replaced.

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

I was thinking about this some more just now....

I wonder why Lotus choose to mount the radiator up high and horizontal? Maybe to get a smaller profile or nose height? This raises the center of mass of the car...

Isn't it weird that the air has to make two sharp corners in this configuration? Why not just slant it a bit to match the natural air flow? :headscratch:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤