Larger than stock

Started by BigMike, February 09, 2011, 06:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

So apparently people are using ST185 Celica calipers and rotors. The Celica is 5-lug and apparently it's possible to redrill for the AW11's 4x100mm bolt pattern.

The Celica rotors are about 177mm in diameter.

I haven't figured out all the details yet, but we can EASILY get drilled & slotted Celica rotors from our brake supplier for cheap.

We can also go with 1994-1999 GT-Four (ST205) 4 piston calipers and 315mm rotor, but this might require a 16" wheel, I don't know :dunno:

Some links to start with:

The AW11 Brake Upgrade Thread

AW11 MR2 Brake Bolt-on Brake Upgrades
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Here is a comparison of the 177mm ST185 Celica rotors to the stock AW11 rotors (not sure what year AW11 rotors though...)

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Also the 1" Hilux Master cylinder that we sell bolts right onto the stock AW11 booster!!

We buy these in bulk so I'll get a great price on them

Store link: http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/master-cylinder/big-bore-fj80-brake-master-cylinder
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

1990 Celica GT calipers are have a 57mm piston diameter vs. AW11 46mm piston diameter. Apparently this is a bolt-on swap (with more pad options available).

Here are the 1990 Celica GT calipers installed with everything else stock 1987-89 style AW11 brakes:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Currently, I'm for the 57mm Celica calipers with '87 and later vented MR2 rotors on the front and rear. Cheap and easy for now
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on February 09, 2011, 07:28:05 PM
Currently, I'm for the 57mm Celica calipers with '87 and later vented MR2 rotors on the front and rear. Cheap and easy for now

X2
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I knew this thread was here somewhere. I have spare front calipers from the '87 on the lower drive, not sure about the rotors' condition though. We can put them on the rear of the poupe' and the Celica calipers on the front. As for going with larger diameter rotors, the clipers would have to be relocated. Adapter brackets would have to be made.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

I wonder how stock size brake pads will hold up to lap after lap after lap. Having larger pads and rotors would mean less brake fatigue and longer intervals between changing out pads, that is a great advantage over other AW11s with stock brakes.

Our car will be over 300 lbs lighter than stock so that helps out the brakes too...
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I believe the Celica's pads are the same as the MR2. You might verify that though. And, as far as going with larger rotors, will they fit under the 13" or 14" rims?

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I do have these hideous rims that came on the FX16 we could use. They are 15".

BigMike

There are two 6 speed transaxles we can use. The one from the Corolla (what I am running) has a taller 6th gear than the one from the Celica/Elise/Exige. If we ran a small enough tire, then we could use the shorter Celica type 6th gear, but I suppose if we are to the point at which we are using all 6 gears then we need a larger tire diameter lol Just spit balling over here :popcorn:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Looking at the ST185 rotor in the pic above makes me wonder if the hub assy. could be bolted onto the MR2 ball joint and tie rod. The strut hat should be interchangeable, so possibly the entire strut assy. could move over if needed. Also, would the axle splines be the same as the Mr2.  Sounds like a trip to the yard.