NEW MR2!!!

Started by BigMike, March 21, 2010, 08:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on March 29, 2010, 10:36:37 PM
Actually, I thought about cutting out the trunk.

Then let's do it!!

Hey check this out, the guy claims this weighs 650 pounds!

-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

kdogae86

and ours is missing more body pieces than that,like left rear fender

Sirdeuce

I'll show you too old you litt...... OW OW OW finger cramp
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Let's lose some weight, chop chop!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Here are some interior roll cage pictures I have from various MR2s:

No cage here, but it shows a good view of the back firewall

Notice the sleeves on the top bars. This is a bolt-in kit that someone sells apparently. Of course ours will not be removable and thus won't have sleeves.

Here are some more "stripped down" images:

And here is a very simple exhaust setup. Now just image only having one of those pipes. That is VERY light in the rear of the car where we don't want weight:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

This is what I had in mind, a simple direct exhaust. I plan on doing something similar to this except I won't use this rice-rocket muffler:

Of course to be even more simplistic, we will just avoid the last bend and have a center exist exhaust. Least amount of pipe = least amount of weight.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

oooooo! Here is a great example. No cat, no flex (we'd want a flex for durability).

What do you think Bill? We could maybe fit a couple glass packs in there. I just don't want the thing to be too loud. Helmet or no helmet, having to put up with an excessively loud exhaust for 8 hours will wear me out.

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

We can add this front lower a-arm brace to help keep the car rigid. Simple and effective

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

I forgot to mention that the rear struts that are on the car right now are in really good shape, but the front struts are either not installed or they have a family of squirrels living inside them. I bet we could get the front end bouncing enough to lift a tire.

So before we Autocross this baby, we need to at least get some front struts installed
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Quote from: BigMike on March 28, 2010, 02:55:00 PM
Big-K says it fires right up, purrs like a kitten, and has great throttle response. We need to get a new throttle cable.

Got quotes from Toyota today for a new Genuine Toyota Cable. Are you sitting down? Retail is $178.03 and my price is $123.37.

So I vote we get a good used one, and if needed, a spare. I will call TAP tomorrow to see what they want for one over-the-counter. I know TAP has a bad rap, but the Fresno TAP treats us really well and we buy a lot of the hard to find parts from them. Of course a 1/2-off sale wrecking yard would be the cheapest...
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I have a set of KYB gr2 shocks at our disposal. I like the brace on the front. Excessively loud exhaust + earplugs = 0 problem. Save a little weight on the exhaust and use a single freeflowing muffler.

BryanH

I has throttle cable.  From '87 MR2 4AGE.  The rubber grommet at the end is mangled up but I assume that's no big deal...

Sirdeuce

Woohoo, now it can be revved with the foot! As was nature's intent.

kdogae86

probly try to get that cable from bry maybe this weekend? ran into a little snag today. left front wheel lug nut has stripped.
will need to grind off the nut now damn it.

BigMike

Did it damage the stud or did it round the nut? If the later, then we have a kit to extract stripped and damaged lug nuts!!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤