status

Started by kdogae86, March 28, 2010, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

I like the F1 idea

How can we combine the F1 idea with the air vent of an Out House?

-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Actually, that is the exhaust vent of the outhouse...
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

OK, the great camshaft debate!! I am currently in the process of putting in cams! I have WEB Cams 294 grind laying in the head.

Stock early bigport TViS engines ran a duration of 240 degrees with 7.56mm lift
Stock late smallport non TViS engines ran 232 degrees of duration with 7.1mm lift
WEB Cams 294 has a duration of 244 degrees of duration with 8.175mm of lift

I have at my disposal 3 cams of a 264 duration and lifts of 7.9mm, 8.1mm, and 8.35mm. Mike and I believe the WEB Cams will be adequate for our first race, but if anybody has a good reason why we should go beyond that now is the time to raise your voice above the crowd! I'll be installing the cams MONDAY, if you are happy with the 294 grind cams, great, if not, speak now or forever hold your peace!! Here are pics of the WEB Cams and adjustable sprockets planned for use.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

What if we ran a 264 / 8.35mm cam on the intake, and a 244 / 8.175mm on the exhaust?

Also, if you don't want to run your adj cam gears, I've got a set of modified stock gears from my redhat engine I am not using at the moment.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

These gears came on a head I purchased, not any plans to use them. 20 degree split? That's a quite a bit! Never went that far before. We coould give it a try.  I'm sure it would kill a lot of the top end though. I would normally go around 10 degrees difference, just don't have any 250* cams. How about a spli in the lift, 8.35 in, 7.9 ex? Should give the necessary backpressure to increase the low end torque without affecting the top end.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Yeah, too bad ya don't have a slightly shorter cam.

When I think 244 / 8.175mm intake and 240 / 7.56mm exhaust, I say we might as well just run the webbies intake and exhaust.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

As soon as we get the replies from the rest of the peanut gallery I'll get them in. But I think the 294's will be fine. It'll be like a 1.7 liter 4age, only 1.6 liter. I think that is close enough as a comparison.

Sirdeuce

Got all the motor mounts poured. Not very pretty, but should do a good job! I bought a half gallon of the 2 part mix and used half of it. Sorry, no pics tonight, but if I can figure out my wifes camera, she took mine to Vegas as it was easier to carry, I'll get some posted later.

Sirdeuce

This is turning into a bit of a pain in the ass! Cylinders were getting a bit sticky, the warranty tabs were melted out in the centers and the carbon in the exhaust ports was breaking off and sticking to the valves. Off came the head! This was not a rebuilt engine! Whoever told the guy I bought it from that it was rebuilt was a liar! This engine is an imported ATK engine. I'm thinking of giving it to Mike to put in the hot tank. Might replace the valve seals too, I do have a set. I have a spare head gasket too, so that's not a problem. The cylinders are a bit dry, but in good shape. Pistons have a lot of carbon built up on them. The carbon in the exhaust ports was flaking off and making it's way to the valves and getting between the valve and seat making the process of adjusting the lash impossible. Maybe we can surface the head to up the compression. Well back to the body for now. Probably hang a mock up engine to get started on the wiring. Good thing about working on the engine in my garage though. I can see the floor again!! Enough of this for the day. I'm going to put on my favorite musical and do the dishes.

BigMike

Ok,

Since you've got the head off I strongly recommend we do a complete valve job. We get good deals from Hyatt Machine Shop in Clovis (where my old man used to work for 8 or 9 yrs). When I blew the headgasket on my 3RZ, I had them do a valve job for me and WOW what a difference it makes having a fresh valve job. The whole engine felt young again, smooth idle, smooth power band, much better top end power. We could easily request to have extra shaved off when they surface it, not a problem at all. Just bring the head down with the cams, valves, everything installed and they'll do the rest. It will cost about $125-$150. I can try to swing this after 2 weeks, but you'll have to wait 2 weeks :( The nice thing about this is that it will give us more power and better efficiency and the judges will be none the wiser.

What is an ATK engine?

Why don't we put in my higher compression pistons from my red hat engine? 8) DUDE!! SERIOUSLY we gotta do this!! 10.3:1 compression + new valve job + shaved head (extra compression), GIGGITY GIGGITY GOO!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I have a set of Wiseco pistons I don't plan to use. We'll need a thicker gasket though, the compression is 11-1. These pistons are also standard, so all we need to do is hone the block, maybe. If the clearances are too close for a forged piston we'll need to hone a few thousandths out. If we go that far, might as well replace bearings too. Balance.

How 'bout we just disassemble the head and lap the seats and put in new valve seals? A lot less money spent! We can replace the rings and maybe the bearings, I have a dingleberry hone to deglaze the cylnders. Probably do the whole thing for the cost of a valve grind. The engine ran pretty good when we got it. As for the compression, we would be able to afford an MLS gasket. Get a gasket with a thickness of .5mm or .6mm. should raise the compression to about 10.5 or so.

BigMike

Ok. So, no to the valve job. Check.

Run my 10.3:1 pistons?

We can still resurface the cylinder head at work for free. We can take more material out of the head, no problem.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Changing the internal parts might throw the balance off. We could get away with changing the rings and bearings, but the hard parts have different weights. We could check the weight of each piece and compare, and, maybe...........

Sirdeuce

Ok, pics of the motor mounts. Not pretty, but will fill th brackets for side to side support an definately up and down.

BigMike

Not pretty? They look amazing!! I wonder if they will believe that we made them ourselves?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤