Intake system

Started by Sirdeuce, April 04, 2010, 08:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Who do we have or know that can weld aluminum?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

We have a tig and I can start practicing
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

Might try modding a manifold. You interested?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Duct cold ram air from front of car. I found a light weight drain pipe.
On modding a manifold, dual throttle bodies?

BigMike

For kicks or for reals?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

do the ducting for reals for LeMons. the dual TB's possibility. Might be able to get away with it if the parts are cheap enough. Remember, labor that's free is free. It doesn't count towards the $500 limit. Just an idea that probably isn't worth it.

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

BigMike

So 1 or 2 fakie AFMs? For sure the judges know the MR2 should have an AFM.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

I moved this thread to the LeMons section to keep it on the down-low
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Mike. You have access to a program that can simulate airflow through a tube?

BigMike

Yes, Solidworks has a built in simulator for this called Flowworks, however I need to learn how to use it :yupyup: I will learn how to use it eventually because Bryan lent me two matchbox MR2s, a MK1 and MK2, and I wanted to digitize them for aerodynamics (flow) study.

Let's revisit this after my finals are over (I'll be a free man come the 17th of this month).

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

BigMike

I want to expand this topic to include cylinder head considerations.

Why are we disabling the TVIS? I was thinking about this and granted a narrow top-end power band will be complemented with the 6-speed transaxle, but if we run dual throttle bodies, then we'll already be improving higher rpm intake flow. Therefore, perhaps this will cancel out the extra bit of restriction caused by the opened TVIS throttles at high RPMs. What do you guys think?

Also, what if we run my ported & polished smallport head in conjunction with the proposed dual throttle body setup? The smaller ports will aid in low rpm intake velocity and the dual throttle bodies will aid in high rpm restriction.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Oh this reminds me about something. If we do decided to keep the TVIS, I can easily program the Basic STAMP to function the TVIS instead of the ECU. So if we run the TVIS with a a non-TVIS ECU, we could program it for an early TVIS operation, say at 3000 rpm. Also, we can replace the "on" "off" vacuum setup with an electric stepper motor and have complete control over the TVIS. You want it to slowly open from shut to 1/2 open from 2000-3000 rpm, then hold it 1/2 open until 4000 rpm then gradually open it completely by 5000 rpm? No problem.

Also, here is an argument against the TVIS: looking down the road, if we manage to get a MegaSquirt for the car, not having the TVIS would be one less thing to worry about.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤