Williams Helical Camshaft

Started by Sirdeuce, February 08, 2013, 08:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Came across something rather interesting today. Imagine a camshaft that has indefinate adjustability in it's duration!! A coaxial helical camshaft! Not that it would work in the limited space of a 4AGE head, but just the idea is awesome! helicalcamshaft.com Check it out!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

What is this sorcery?! Going to look at the link when I get home tonight
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

EricJameson

I have seen this cam system develop from design to testing as the Helical Cam place is near where I live.   It runs and performs just as you see it on the website - the fuel savings at part throttle are amazing but as HC themselves say - it may not be quite so spectacular with a full-size EFI engine.   
As you say it won't fit a 4AGE Toyota.   The head layout has to be something like the Nissan SR series of engines - which has slightly unusual valve gear - four lobes on each cam, forked finger followers etc.   I have been told by HC that they are planning to build a system to fit the SR series engine.  If I remember correctly - the SR puts out a bit more power than the equivalent inverted bucket type of Nissan engine.   Realistically I think any engine with the HC would have to have a new head with something like the Nissan SR/SuzukiGSX valve gear layout.