BigMike: Team Veyron-FX

Started by BigMike, January 26, 2010, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Okay, here is my idea:

Let's dress the FX16 to look like a Bugatti Veyron. The key element will be a brake activated rear spoiler.

Here is the Veyron's spoiler at normal position:

And here is the Veyron's spoiler while braking:

Many Supercars are doing this now-a-days. Major advantages I can see are:
1) Add rear downforce to help prevent rear wheel lock-up.
2) Add rear downforce to help reduce brake dive and give the car a more neutral feel while braking.
3) Add massive amounts of drag to help the brakes slow the car down.

This will be extremely simple to build. I already have a stepper motor large enough for this and I can easily build brackets with a very large mechanical advantage so the motor won't have to work as hard.

My idea to make this sound super cool for the judges is something like this:

HOW COOL IS THAT?? A BRAKE ACTIVATED LEMON SPOILER!!! The judges will LOVE IT!!!

The lemon will sit flat on the roof of the FX when not in use and will most likely extend out beyond the body line above the rear hatch window.

Here is an excellent YouTube video to show exactly what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/v/mvfG_jEXosw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

I am already planning on doing this to my MR2, but I am going to use a BASIC Stamp Microcontroller with an accelerometer so that the spoiler will only deploy under HEAVY deceleration.

The mustang in the above video simply has it connected to the brake lights basically. Touch the brake pedal even slightly and the spoiler deploys. We don't have to do it this way, we can do to the FX16 what I am planning on doing to my MR2, but the BASIC Stamp retails for about $100 (I already own two of them) so the judges might have a fit with that.

SO, what we can do is this: We can KEEP IT SIMPLE by having an additional trigger:
1) Brake switch is trigger #1
2) Have a simple switch attached to the front suspension that is only activated when the suspension compresses 3/4 (or whatever) of the way.

So the condition would be that you must be both on the brakes and have brake dive in order for the Lemon to deploy. This wouldn't require any fancy accelerometer or microcontroller at all, just simple push button switches from Radio Shack.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Another idea to add to make the Judges think we are super crazy is to have 10 radiators on the FX just like the Veyron.

So add 9 small throw-away junk radiators to the FX

1 for the engine (of course), another 4 for each brake caliper (mounted near each wheel well), a radiator for the Lemon Brake Spoiler, a radiator for the power steering, and 3 other somewhere

They won't be connected of course and won't have any liquid or anything. We can just use super small automatic tranny coolers or small oil coolers found at the wrecking yard, so having 9 of these will only be like 10 or 15 pounds.

So that is another thing that will show to the Judges that we have a really unique and weird concept idea for the Veyron-FX.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

We'll make the nose of the FX look like the Veyron...

And we'll make some ugly yet functional air scoops on both sides to get air to the rear brakes.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Make the spoiler with plywood, actuated by a cable attached to the brake pedal.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Grill, side, and roof-top modifications along with the red/black color scheme of the Veryon:

And here is a 4A-GE W16 - 16-cylinder with the 3 distinct cylinder banks. Just cut the one side of a valve cover off and bolt or tig weld it to the top of the intake manifold:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on January 26, 2010, 05:12:08 PM
Make the spoiler with plywood, actuated by a cable attached to the brake pedal.

Cable actuated! That is even more lemon-ish, the Judges would much rather see that over some fancy electrical gizmo crap. I don't like the plywood idea (weak and what if it rains) but it would sit better with the judges, would be cheaper and lighter than sheet metal, and we could bring a couple spares in care it breaks.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Updated colors

anyway, you get the idea
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Next we can get some Harbor Freight car horns (I already have two I will donate) and install them like such so we can have a QUAD TURBO just like the Veyron:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

We could use door lock actuators to raise and lower the various flaps.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Think we could incorporate the spoiler idea on the 2?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce