VVTi vs. V-TEC

Started by Sirdeuce, May 16, 2010, 09:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

C'mon now, really, why does the Honda have a 'better' power output than a 4AGE? The 20v has an output of @160hp at @7800rpm, 120lb torque @5600rpm. The V-TEC B16B-R has an output of 182hp @ 8200rpm and 118lb of torque @7500rpm. The 4AGE has a bore x stroke of 81mm x 77mm, the Honda is 81mm x 77.4.  Hmmm, so similar, yet so different. Been arguing this with my Honda buds for awhile now. Y'all now this one??
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

It's simple: better cam profile trumps better cam timing.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

Ok, simple. But, Does that make it a BETTER engine? I found the specs of V-Tec cams, big lobes only. in.@240* ex,@237* measured at 1mm lift. Makig comparisons, that comes out to 280*- 285* total duration! Looking at lifts of 10.5mm -11.5mm! These are rough but I believe to be pretty close. The small lobes are substantially smaller. Haven't found the specs on the smaller lobes though. I'm guessing they are in the range of 225* duration with 7mm lift. Now compare with the early 4AGE. The duration comes in at a whopping 240* total and a piston punching 7.56mm lift. The 20v is @ 250* w/ 10.5mm lift. Put cams comparable to the honda's and the 4AGE will put out a comparable power level. Talk about the ports and EFI tuning? The real trick in the Honda is getting the thing to run clean at the lower RPM range. Sure is nice to be able to change cams at 4500RPM!! Just a little heated discussion with a Honda brat the other day. Couldn't get this info into his head with a hammer. Of course the honda engine makes more power.(???) C'mon, tell me why it makes more power. Does that make it a BETTER engine?? Lock in the big lobes and retain the drivability and pass smog. Lock out the big lobes and then compare outputs. Bet the Honda doesn't do much above 5500RPM.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Where'd that emoticon come from? I didn't put that there.

STUPID FAST

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I need those stickers for my pressure washer!

BigMike

Hey mang, check out the mower brakes
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Bwaahahahahahahaa!1 I didn't see that at first! Are those Rota rims?

BryanH