The Rebirth

Started by BigMike, May 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Do you have a HKS 256 / 8.35mm exhaust cam?
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Or, if I want a wider torque band, I'd like to run a 264 / 8.1mm intake and a webcam 294 (shorter duration) on the exhaust.

But I am willing to compromise bottom end since I'm forced induction to begin with. I know torque wins races, but I want to build a peakier GZE than what most people build.

BigMike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Talk about it when you come up for the other pieces. But the 264's with higher boost and exhaust might require the use of larger injectors! Do you still have the 430cc injectors from your last SC? If not, I may have a set around here somewhere. Dig up your old AFC too.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Yes, I have my Supra Injectors on my HIPSI engine at up Bevin's.

Hmmmmmm my old AFC...... I'll have to think what I did with it.... I haven't seen that thing in quite a while... Maybe I sold it to someone ?

Tonight I got my Physics homework finished so I rewarded myself by doing some work on the 2

I *finally* got my SC positive pressure indicator light wired up. It is finally working. I'll have to get a pic of it while driving. At the same time, I cleaned up some electrical tape that was making a portion of my tachometer a bit dim (had tape on the backside of the tach face plate). Now numbers 5 and 6 are just as bright as the rest.

Then I wanted to mount my A-pillar gauge pod and get my boost gauge mounted up there, but I don't have long enough screws here at the house. So I'll have to continue to live with the gauge taped to the dash for now. I did however temporarily wire in the boost gauge lamp so at least now I can see what is going on in the dark.

Then I fixed my headlight switch. Something was really wrong with it, I haven't been able to put the switch in the far clockwise position which keeps the headlights up & turned off. So while I had the dash apart, I inspected the switch and discovered that it had simply come loose from the plastic dash bezel. So I got that all tightened up and now I can leave my headlights up without them being turned on.

I then *finally* got my new foam installed on the intercooler. For a while I had been using some 1/2" thick weather stripping that was double and even triple stacked to fill the gap between the hood and the IC. I finally was able to find a 12" x 12" x 2" piece of foam from Grainger Supply. They only had it in white. So I did some measuring and started cutting. I should of taken a pic before I cut it up. It was just one large solid chunk of foam. I cut out the center section of it, then trimmed it down to about an 1.25-inch think, centered it on the IC, and then loosely strapped it down with zip ties. It actually turned out better than I had thought it would. I wish I had a 14" x 14", that would have been a bit better, but I could only find a 12" x 12" piece of foam. The zip ties are very loose and are only there to prevent the foam from being sucked up and ripped into pieces by the IC fan. As the hood is lowered, the foam and zip ties neatly compress and fill the gap nicely. There is one area which I should have made a bit thicker, so I'll probably throw some extra pieces beneath the foam in those areas to make up for it. I really wanted this to be a complete 1-piece foam border as apposed to the 10-something different pieces of weather stripping that kept falling off of each other. It turned out pretty clean in my opinion.

That's it for today. It was really nice doing some work to the car like this. It's been a while since I've done anything it seems.

BigMike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

If you no longer have your AFC I have 2 of them. They don't work on the US AFM model ECU, so I still have them in the boxes.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on October 14, 2010, 09:09:49 AM
They don't work on the US AFM model ECU
What, then why are we talking about them? lol
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

STUPID FAST

mike i wanna test out a drag race when i get my 2zz in with your sc mr2. i wanna see how fast the 2zz really is compared to a sc

BigMike

I'll be up to 12 or 13 psi by then, so it will be an interesting race
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

STUPID FAST

dude i got punked by a integra gsr, i wanted no part of that race, i really need that 2zz in it to show these honda guys wassup

Sirdeuce

Sounds like typical ricer strategy. Take out the one you know you can beat. Let's see, I have a car that has 185 hp stock. It weighs around 2600 lbs. I'll modify it  and go hunt cars that weigh about the same and after mods might put out 150 hp. HEY! I can't lose! The same people slink off into the shadows when they get beat. Real losers in my book. Oh yeah, these guys also brag about how they beat some one that wasn't even aware they were in a competition. Yeah, I lost a race to a guy in a stock 1990 Nissan hardbody. He wasted my Mazda. He'll let you know the details about how the Mazdaspeed tuned cars are sooooo slow. Chee, did you even try to race this GSR?

STUPID FAST

no the guy and 2 of his buddies in the car revved and asked me to race, i told him my car is all stock. sure enough he peels out of the hole when the light tunes green, typical rice move if you asked me, they slowed down after going into 2nd gear and just started messing around with the throttle next to me to see if i was gonna go for it, i know my car is slower and will get whooped so i just minded my own business and just kept driving back to work. pisses me off how cocky some people are, im sure if i had the 2zz in it that guy would of got his ass handed to him. 

Sirdeuce

Yeah, it's always a lot better to wait for your own mods to play. I'd rather see them on the hill than on the street. Most of those guys couldn't negotiate a corner to save their ass.

STUPID FAST

BigMike

Quote from: STUPID FAST on October 14, 2010, 12:37:18 PM
dude i got punked by a integra gsr, i wanted no part of that race, i really need that 2zz in it to show these honda guys wassup
What color & wheels did it have? I'd love to open up a can of GZE on them.

Quote from: Sirdeuce on October 14, 2010, 01:11:07 PMOh yeah, these guys also brag about how they beat some one that wasn't even aware they were in a competition.
That is the worst! I get this a lot from vehicles in general when I torque-accelerate quickly up to 5th gear yet (all short shifts under nearly full boost) while only doing about 50 MPH. Then, the car/van/truck will accelerate hard to block me from passing only to slam on their brakes for the upcoming red light. So they get to the red light first after wasting their gas and their brakes, and then I s.. l.. o.. w.. l.. y.. roll up with a deep geezer stare right at them. Ha! I love it, and it happens a lot to me because I love powering through the gears quickly like that at almost every green light.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Ok, seriously, I am going to up my power output either Oct 24 or 31. Here is the 1-day plan:

Install 165mm crank pulley (14% larger)
Install 120mm Supercharger clutch (4% smaller)     Boost should increase to about 12 psi
Install TRD header and my 2.25" exhaust I used on my ITB engine, arranged in a free flow design with exhaust output moved to the drivers side.
Install either stock big-port cams, or Web cams, or Bill's HKS 264 cams.
Install a cone filter to help out a bit with the restrictive intake system.

Then I won't touch anything until sometime next spring (SC14 + MegaSquirt dyno tuned)

Bill, I am worried about using your 8.35 lift cams. I think I'll need better valve springs. I have HSK springs on my HIPSI engine but they have been sitting for 6 years, some in the compressed position. Do you think they are still good?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤