The Rebirth

Started by BigMike, May 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

I forgot to comment that I believe this says a LOT for paying more for high quality parts. This is a genuine, made in Japan Exedy clutch kit and it has endured the tests of time all the way to the very end. Seriously, I am so impressed that this clutch is still alive. It is a true testimony to the Exedy clutch name.

Mike
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

I got home around 2am this morning. Had to abandon the car at the shop.

Wow.........

what................

a......................................

serious...............................................

mess.......................................................................

:down:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BryanH

kdogae86

new transmission time?

BigMike

Hey guys

I just got home now with my MR2 but it is still transmitting its torque through a C56 5-speed.

The story is very long and I am too tired to go into it right now.

The new clutch kit works great! The pedal is very heavy, I can tell this is a heavy duty pressure plate as advertised :yesnod: Also I put in all 4 urethane motor mounts Bill made and WOW what a difference. The car is way more solid and of course it has more vibrations. But my wheel bearing is so bad that I can't tell really which is which so I am gonna wait till I get that bearing replaced before I make a final decision on the mounts. At this time I feel that they are a bit too stiff and that I should only run the rear + passengers side mount only, more on this later.

Right now the dilemma is that I need to figure out what axles work with this transmission. I've got some research to do.

Bill, thank you VERY MUCH for your help. You saved me at LEAST a solid hour. I know you're probably say you didn't do anything, but I owe ya big time :bowdown: I had a lot of fun chatting with ya also :thumbs:

:goodnight:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Want me to get the hub off the white car? Or do you jus want to replace the bearing?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on December 21, 2010, 01:06:50 AM
Want me to get the hub off the white car? Or do you jus want to replace the bearing?

WOAH DUDE, I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS!!!! This will take care of that stripped bolt AND the bearing! DUH!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, yes do rip it off for me, which means I'll need to come up with a hub eventually for the Poupe since it'll need N/A spindles.

Wow GREAT idea!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Bill,

Could you show me an example of the synthetic hose you were talking about (on eBay?) to go between my AFM and TB?

Thanks,
Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

When I mentioned that I didn't have the whole picture. Bur look at the intercooler piping connectors. You might have to do some cuttuing and or fabbing.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Like to tinker? Like to play with ideas? Like to fab pieces for your car? How 'bout custom, one off composite tubing for the intake system. Good for vacuum and pressure. Ohhh, pretty colors too! www.solarcomposites.com/composites/carbon%20fiber%20sleeves.html

Sirdeuce

We can make forms for anything! Imagine having the only carbon fiber piping around! How about making it in a blue fiberglass? It's a cool idea!

Sirdeuce

I can have the hub ready for you when you get here tonight to pull my truck out of the mud. Sorry, but until I get my transportation freed up I can't go anywhere. The slide has on drive blocked and the truck is blocking the other. I'm stuck here at home whether I like it or not.

BigMike

Got my driver's rear spindle replaced (it had a stripped out thread) and I'm happy to report the replacement unit has a good wheel bearing :) So took care of two issues at once :thumbs: Thanks Bill! :wave:

Pic 1: Here I am pulling stuff apart.
2: Got the replacement mostly stripped down except for the backing plate. The bearing feels good.
3: Marked my camber setting. There is quite a lot of available camber in this location. I'd say my rear is at about 75% of max camber. More on this later.
4: The replacement spindle's bearing felt good, but its grease looked pretty dry and old. So I packed a TON of grease in there and added even more in hopes the axle will push the grease into the bearing races.
5: I can't believe how easy this is. Only 8 bolts and it's out.
6: I sanded down the seal surface on my old axle since I'm reusing the old seal. I know, I know, when I had everything apart I was thinking why I hadn't just ordered new parts. Well it's the way I roll and at least I can have money for other things :yesnod:
7: Bill's spindle installed! Here is the spacer used in order to convert the rear spindle for front vented rotors. It installed behind the rotor, so therefore I haven't seen/touched this part in at least 8 years!
8: These brake pads are equally as old, 8+ years! I was REALLY surprised to see how much pad is remaining! WOW. They are performance metallic pads from... da da da.... AUTOZONE! :thumbs: Man I love em!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

And that is it (I didn't take any finished pictures). I checked the camber bolts and they were only torqued to about 60 or 65 ft-lbs!! I don't know what the proper setting should be, so I just torqued 'em all the way up to 100. I felt like I could have gone 110 or even 120 but I figured that was plenty (I've heard stories of ppl loosing camber while racing so I wanted to torque them well).

Quote from: BigMike on January 06, 2011, 10:28:29 PM
3: Marked my camber setting. There is quite a lot of available camber in this location. I'd say my rear is at about 75% of max camber. More on this later.
So I got a straight tie-rod from Bill's white donor car which I can easily install on the passengers side -- I only need just the tube section! This will replace my bent piece and then I will get my car aligned. I can't wait!  :banana:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Glad things worked out! It is nice having spares around!
What is that dancing around?? A......... Yellow...........D? Oh a banana! I need to remember to put my glasses on when looking at those damn things