The Rebirth

Started by BigMike, May 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

So........ another rusted gas tank. The pump, it's bracket, the sending unit... They weren't as bad as my original tank, but they were pretty bad.

So I didn't know what to do, it was already 7 or 8pm and my car was up on the lift. I could have thrown everything back in and then go to a wrecking yard.. that was pretty much my best option, but I decided to call Bill and to my surprise he had a clean tank up at his place. So I locked up the shop, hoped in our 2WD 1-TON 1986 22R-E powered Hilux pickup and drove up to Bill's place in Tollhouse.

I haven't been to Bill's place in a LONG time, and even then I don't remember what I was driving. But let me tell you what, Bill, you are absolutely BLESSED to be able to drive that road every day. I REALLY want to ride with you, you must be like Takumi on Akina pass by now. I drove out HWY168 to Sample Road, Sample Road to Tollhouse Road (at Humphrey Station), then Tollhouse to Burrough Valley Road, then Burrough Valley road to Cassandra Road, then up the hill just a bit to his house. It was over 20 miles of pure bliss on those roads. I was in the 1-TON and could only manage about 40 MPH around those corners before the tires started barking at me. Bill keeps asking me to come visit him and I keep giving him excuses, but man with a road like that I might just start hanging out up there with him from now on LOL

The tank looked great and I chatted with Bill for a while up there at his place. He has two MK1s in a large garage out back, an early 1970s Celica, an early 1980s Celica, a 1983 Hilux, a FX16 out front; it's basically a Toyota dream-land up at his place. He has a ton of sweet & rare parts. We all need to go up to his place for a BBQ or something, that would be really cool.

So drove back to the shop and resumed work around 10pm or so. It took a LONG time to do all the tedious work of fitting the 3.4 pump to the MR2 bracket (I used Bill's bracket he gave me with the tank which was a great thing because my bracket was flaking rust all over the place.)

Here is what the two pumps looked like both attached to the MR2 pump bracket.

The top pump is my old S/C pump that is GARBAGE. When you put power to it it sounds like a fork in a sick garbage disposal. The bearings are junk, it's full of rust, whatever, that thing has had it.

The bottom pump is from a 3.4 Toyota Tacoma V6. I figure that Toyota offers the TRD with a 7th injector kit that does not violate the vehicle's warranty, so a pump that can feed 7 injectors into a 3.4-liter engine surely has more than enough balls to feed my Supercharged 1.6-liter with only 4 injectors. Check out how much smaller the newer pump is. For sure it is newer technology, probably draws less amperage, generates less heat, it's all a win win win deal. I cut a longer piece of hose (used high quality made in USA Goodyear fuel house) and the smaller pump fit in the MR2 bracket kind of loose with the stock spread hose clamps. So I replaced the spreading clamps with screw clamps and applied pressure down onto the pump (forcing it into the tray) while screwing the clamps tight. I though about wrapping wire around the pump, but it turned out to be pretty rigid. The only other issue was that the Tacoma screen is much longer than than the MR2 screen, and it was a bit tricky getting the pump into the tank, but it seemed to fit in with very little resistance. I think it will be okay

The 2nd pic is all the crap I had on the ground working with the pump conversion. Sodering, hose clamps, pliers... It doesn't look that bad in the picture, but it sure felt like I was knee deep in a ton of crap everywhere
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

And here is a cool pic of the hood up showing the 12" IC fan and the HUGE Toyota sign above the car (I should have turned it on!)

So..

The results?

WOW    WOWIE WOW WOWIE!! This engine has SERIOUSLY COME ALIVE GUYS!! Also, I tightened up my S/C pulley a bit more and now it hits a full 8 PSI all the time (before it would only reach about 7 or maybe 7.5 at best). And it pulls HARD all the way to redline now whereas before it would go seriously flat around 6,000 RPM.

Well, I think I am finally getting into the car now. I told Bill that I want to pickup my TRD S/C Header and his HKS cams, then I need to go up to Bevin's to pickup my larger crank pulley and smaller S/C pulley. I think I want to do this before school starts. I think I've spent enough time driving the car around with a 6,000 RPM power limiter and I am finally to the point where I want to see what this baby can do!!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Give me a day's notice and I'll get all that stuff dug up. Do we need to hire a surgeon to remove your smile?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Ok

Update on this. After finishing up that night, I stopped to get some gas and noticed fuel was dumping right onto the ground. I was really shocked because I don't make mistakes like that. I looked under the car and it wasn't too close to the engine, and it was already about 2am, so I just decided to continue home. The next day after work (yesterday) I jacked the car up to see which hose clamp I forgot to tighten and it took me nearly 2 hours to figure out that the main filler neck hose that enters the gas tank had a very small split along its top side that was not visible unless you bent the hose. It took for ever to figure out where the leak was coming from.

So I went to AutoZone, Kragens, and Pepboys, nothing. I did have a spare hose from my original tank but it was extremely hard and I couldn't install it, so I heated it up and it immediately ruptured. So I had no choice but to abandon the car at the shop. Man, I can't remember the last time I had to leave my vehicle at the shop because I couldn't fix it :(

So this morning I called every Toyota dealership I can think of and no one stocks it. Call Napa, they only have a 1.5" or 1.75" 45-degree angle bend fuel hose which won't work. I call Decker (aka Smith's Auto) and they have a 90-degree 1.75" fuel hose and it's pretty much my last resort. So they are sending that over right now and I will just have to add some rubber or something and just try to make it work. MAN what an ordeal!

I also called TAP (Toyota Auto Parts) and they don't have one, and I could go to the wrecking yard on my lunch break.....
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

While working on this fuel problem, I left the shop and noticed a horrible clunking sound coming from the front end. I first noticed it after leaving a gas station, and it was very intermittent, only occurring under just the right conditions. So on a Friday before leaving for San Jose to visit Misato, I decided I better check it out first, and here is what I found on the front drivers side:

And here is the welded & fixed job:

This LITERALLY took me 4 mins to repair. From start to finish including welding and painting and installing. I installed it while the paint was totally wet even. This had to have been the quickest repair I've ever done.

This is now the 2nd time this has happened to me. The front passengers side violently broke while taking a hard right hand corner at about 35 or 40 MPH a good 7 or 8 years ago. That repair is still going strong :)
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Bill just found some camber bolts for the MR2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=220482529638

So I ordered 4 bolts total :) Kevin, I will let you know once I get them so I can get the alignment done :D
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Here is the conclusion to the fuel problem-

Pic of the stock hose split at the top. It took me about 30 mins to figure out where the gas was leaking from because the split was only noticeable when you pull down on the hose

Took the hose off, now I just need a replacement

But that was the problem, no one had one. So I had to leave my car at the shop overnight. It sucked because it's been a VERY LONG TIME since I've had to abandon a vehicle of mine at the shop because I was literally unable to repair it.

So the next day I got a USA-made Gates 90-degree hose with about 8-inches of hose on each side of the bend. The ID was a 2-3/4" when I really needed a 2-5/8" or about. So the hose was a bit oversized compared to the stock part, and you know what, WOW it fit 100 times better than the stock part! MAN it was SO EASY to install because it is so flexible and it's larger ID slipped right over the lines. Also, the rubber was nice and malleable and it easily compressed under the hose clamps and has not leaked a single drop. One of the coolest repairs I've ever done using non-Toyota parts. :D
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Hey Bill,

Here is what I'm talking about with my exhaust.

Don't mind the dual tip setup, that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about just moving the tip to the drivers side for less backpressure & less weight
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Works for me! Just need to make sure the smog Nazi's are good with it. HEIL hydrocarbons.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

STUPID FAST

ive been telling you to do duals like that mike. thats how im going to do mines.

BigMike

I love the dual square intercooled Borla tips: http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=3&type=64

BUT THEY ARE FREAK'N EXPENSIVE AS HELL! Anyone know of a tip similar to this?

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

I'm thinking about using a NACA duct for the intake at the drivers rear tunk side

Here it is for just $15.99 :: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/2141/NACA_Ducts

This is great for aerodynamics but according to Wikipedia, not great for building up pressure:
Quote"This type of flush inlet generally cannot achieve the larger ram pressures and flow volumes of an external design"

So I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. The original plan is to build a fully sealed air box in the trunk that will house a cone filter. The filter will get all of its air from a side vent, and I wanted to have an external scoop with a good 1-inch protrusion from body in order to capture a lot of air and build pressure in the air box (more power at high speeds)
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

What material was that NACA duct constructed from? As for pressure buildup, a 1" riser won't do enough to consider a pressure rise.

BigMike

ABS plastic. Then I'll do a 1-foot riser :D
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤