The Rebirth

Started by BigMike, May 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Quote from: BigMike on October 14, 2010, 05:10:45 PM
Boost should increase to about 12 psi

Actually... The Cusco pulley is 170mm, and coupled with the stock 125mm SC clutch gets 14 psi. This is a 1.36:1 ratio.
My setup, smaller crank pulley but smaller clutch is actually a higher ratio, 165/120 = 1.375. So I might just get upwards to around 14 psi after all.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Quote from: BigMike on October 13, 2010, 11:41:21 PM
I *finally* got my SC positive pressure indicator light wired up. It is finally working. I'll have to get a pic of it while driving.

Here is the pic along with a short video of it in action. This is at about 4 to 5 psi boost, and remember the tach reads 10% higher than actual rpm.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid704.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww46%2Frakudasama%2FMR2%2FMVI_4099_transcoded.mp4
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Ok, I went to Kevins today and found a spacesaver spare with decent tread. It's yours if you want it. I left the A/C - heater ducting and the doors for you to cut up. As for the cams, The springs may or may not be good after that long, best thing is to check them before using them. On the other hand, I have a set of TODA springs sitting around. Another option is running the 8.1mm intake and the 7.9mm exhaust. It'll be an initiation to bigger cams. 7.9mm is larger than the stock 7.35mm lift and 264 duration, should be an eye opener!!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

While driving to Man Jose today I realized something I've not done to the car to aid with cornering: lower my front air pressure :idea:

I don't know why I completely forgot about this. I've got 32 psi at all four corners. NO WONDER it understeers on up-hill on-ramps.

Bryan, what is the lowest safe front tire pressure you've ran? 27 psi? 26 psi?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Ok,

I just took my car to the San Jose Goodyear Auto Center and got my 1st free tire rebalance and rotation. NICE :clap2: That saved me a crap load of time (this is the first time I've ever purchased tires that included free balancing/rotation).

I then left and adjusted my tire pressure to 32 psi in the rear and 27 psi in the front (they had all 4 tires at 40 psi). What do you guys think?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

40 freakin' psi!! Be like driving on glass! Great for mileage though. Don't they even check the recommendad pressures? Even if your sticker is gone from the doorsill they could reference the computer for that info. Same thing happens when you go to Jiffy lube, they 'adjust' your tire pressure as a 'courtesy'. Even so, the pressure used on one vehicle is different from another. Why do they go y the max pressure on the tire? I thought these guys were proffesional installers. Just goes to show.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Goodyear to boot! The tire guys!

BigMike

I'll need to check my tires to verify, but searching around the WWW shows my max safe tire pressure is 51 psi :o
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Ok

This morning I took the Fowler on-ramp with the new tire pressure and WOW what a difference. The tires still squeal of course, but not as much as before and also the talk at a much lower note. Front traction feels WAAAAY better and I can turn in sharper whereas before it would push when I gave more input. Now I can feel the rear end having to do some work.

NICE :thumbs: :burnout:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

That 51psi is the max safe pressure for the tires, right? Not the MR2.

BigMike

^ correct. So if I wanted to get better gas mileage, I could run the max tire pressure at all 4 corners. But of course the car would ride like crap and wouldn't be able to turn any corners :yupyup:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Right! sacrifice mileage for safety and fun factor, or save gas. You forgot the reduction in braking at overinflated pressures.

BryanH

Quote from: BigMike on October 23, 2010, 12:25:03 AM
Bryan, what is the lowest safe front tire pressure you've ran? 27 psi? 26 psi?
Hmm, I can't remember that far back... :)  I think I usually had a 2psi difference front to rear, fronts were anywhere from 28-32 psi IIRC.

BigMike

Quote from: BryanH on October 30, 2010, 04:30:48 PM
Hmm, I can't remember that far back... :)  I think I usually had a 2psi difference front to rear, fronts were anywhere from 28-32 psi IIRC.
Okay, thank you for the feedback, sounds good. :thumbs: I have mine set at 32 in the rear and 27 up front at the moment :gap:

This is a developing story that reached its first high point today. When I did the 4A-GZE swap back in May I didn't have much $$ and needed to get the car running ASAP. So I was forced to run my old badly worn-out 4-pluck Exedy clutch that has been growling at me ever since. It is embarrassing, but if anyone asks I just say this is what all high performance ceramic clutches sound like :cheese:

The original plan was to get a 6-speed built sometime in July when I got back from Japan, but it didn't happen. So I've been saving $$ ever since and finally bought one from Southwest Foreign Auto Parts out of Pacoima (LA). I had a customer (who lives in Bakersfield & commutes to LA for work) pick it up and bring it to his house in Bakersfield.

Today I went to Bakersfield to pick it up. I called Big-K to see if he wanted to take a road trip so I wouldn't be bored out of my mind, and he and his wife Vern-o took me in their Corolla to pick up the 6spd.

The trans I got is a C60 from a 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS with only 64,000 miles on it. (Interesting, the XRS was only offered for two years and came with the 2ZZ-GE) I got a GREAT DEAL on it because it has a cracked case (see 2nd pic below). I only need the 3rd housing (tail housing) in order to convert a C5X into a 6spd, so this is PERFECT. Tomorrow I will extract the 6-speed gear set and get it ready to go into a C52 shell.

BigMike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Will that clutch fit the Poupe'?