The Rebirth

Started by BigMike, May 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

April 9, 2015: Added a resonator, Found an oil leak, Removed hot water supply to TB

At the track I ended up melting the plastic coupler between my Exhaust Throttle and the servo so I ended up just removing the throttle plate all together. On the long trip home I noticed the exhaust was quite louder. Was this from only the removed throttle? Or is my muffler being blown out?

At any rate I decided to install a second resonator. I went with a Vibrant 1141 2.5" Ultra Quiet Resonator and am very happy with the results. It definitely quieted it down.

I also discovered that I did not tighten the high pressure hose to my factory oil cooler and it was squirting onto the top of the oil filter.

I placed it where the stock CAT goes. Fit in there nicely. It is a straight through design and is very heavy. It definitely has a lot of material packed in it.

My ugly welds turned out pretty good :thumbs:

This is the hose clamp that was loose

And finally I removed the hot water supply to the throttle body. I don't live in Alaska.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

April 17, 2015: Installed new Brake Rotors

At Thunderhill I COOKED my brakes. I mean I warped all four of em. The rotors I had were from a group buy I'd guess in 2000 or 2001. I do not recall what brand they were and they have no markings on them. They have been resurfaced a few times so not only was the track abusive to them but they were also nearing the end of their lifespan.

The new rotors I got are sourced from Marlin Crawler (see https://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/disk-rotor/brake-rotor-high-performance -- custom made by a vendor of Marlin's). The new rotors are 0.51 mm /  0.020" thicker. I'm not blaming the thickness; I know I got my brakes waaaay hot at the track! (Much more on this coming soon ;) ;))

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

April 17, 2015 (continued)

I also fixed an issue where my front to rear brake conversion mounted the caliper too high causing the pad to miss the rotor and create a squeaking noise that I've been putting up with since the dawn of man. I finally ground down the spindle bolt hole.

Pic 2: Brake pads missing the outer edge of rotor

Pic 3: Much better!

Pic 4: New (vented front) rotors re-mounted out back
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

April 22 & 24, 2015: Fixed an oil leak from hell!!

Somewhere after the track event and only one month later my engine developed an oil leak from hell!! It was so bad that any RPM over about 4,000 would cause a TON of white smoke to bellow out from the engine lid.

Loooooooooong story and a lot of head scratching short, I discovered that my oil separator (installed @ reply #310) had mostly clogged up causing higher than normal crank case pressure. Combined with the boost and/or high pressures due to high RPM and oil was BLOWING straight past my Distributor seal.

MAN this was a mess and took me longer than I would have liked to fix. I had oil spray EVERYWHERE and it was so bad that dust was collecting on the top of my engine lid, trunk lid, spoiler, and entire back of the car with a bunch of small oil droplets all over. So gross

So I bought the Distributor Rebuild Kit from Twos R Us (link http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28) and here is the install:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

April 22 & 24, 2015 (continued)

Oil was just pouring out of the poor distributor and it had gotten all over my poor alternator. Sheeeesh.

Locked it up in the vice

Drilled out the pin (was tricky, started with a small drill and tried my best to keep it straight)

Punched out the remains of the pin

Marked the alignment so I don't screw up the timing

And apart it all came
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

The old seal was R-O-C-K H-A-R-D! Wow it needed to be replaced a long time ago. I am fortunate that it was bad, otherwise I might have blown a crank seal like a rear main and man that would have sucked to replace.

Pic 1: Note the grove in the shaft the hardened seal had cut.

Pic 2: There is no snap ring or index on where the bearing should be pressed on, so I found a drill bit that would correctly fit between the bearing and distributor gear (happened to be a 1/4") so I could get it back together the same.

Pic 3: Outgoing KOYO (thank you so much bearing!) and incoming AMCAN......?

Pic 4: Used our lathe to get the grove roughened up with some sand paper. I didn't want to take too much off but did need a rough surface to break in the new seal

Pic 5: Pressing the new bearing on using the same drill bit as reference

Pic 6: I installed the new seal at a height slightly deeper than before so as to not contact the deep grove on the shaft

Pic 7: Reassembled!

Pic 8: New cotter pin hammered in and ready to go!!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

And here it is all back together.

In the meantime I also encountered an issue with the el cheapo water injector I installed JUST BARELY ONE MONTH AGO!! :maddest:

This pile of crap injector was leaking and I nearly tossed a rod because of it. Water had leaked into the S/C and I went to start it up one day and it fired up and then idled really rough and then just HALTED instantly. WOW it sounded horrible. I cranked it once and it DIDN'T LIKE IT. Stopped the started in it's tracks. Ended up having to pull all plugs and disable the OCR (turn off fuel pump) to crank and spit out all the water from the intake and cylinders. It took a looooong time of just cranking and cranking afterwards until it would start. I think the intercooler was full of water.... :dunno:

Anyway, SCREW you Chinese injector. I went ahead of bought this bad mama jama that I should have done in the first place: "Mini Lightweight 300 PSI Solenoid" http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=499. I was actually so upset that I posted the following review on Amazon:

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2QKMQXGLN2FBW/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00LGIZKMI

Quote from: BigMikeI purchased this solenoid Dec 29th, 2014, and installed it March 10, 2015. I'm using this on a DIY 50/50 water methanol injection system on my Supercharged MR2. I'm using a 60 PSI Shurflo pump with filter and a Shurflo Accumulator to maintain a constant pressure at the solenoid. After only 2 weeks of use the solenoid leaks, something I found out that almost destroyed my engine. I had to remove my spark plugs and crank the engine to clear the water out of the cylinders. When the front side of the solenoid is pressurized it has a small but steady stream of water just dripping out non-stop. I'd like to return this Chinese pile of crap but I purchased it more than 3 months ago so I'm SOL. It claims to be "Heavy Duty" but you can just tell it was cheaply manufactured down to the Chinese crappy wires that came with those Chinese crappy twisty ties (if you've bought made in China parts then you know what I'm talking about). I am going to do what I should have done and that is to get a high performance solenoid from Alcohol Injection Systems (search for "Mini Lightweight 300 PSI Solenoid" on Google). It's $70 but I don't want to take any more chances in damaging my engine. I do not recommend this solenoid for water injection.

So out it goes and in goes the AWESOME Alcohol Injection Systems 300 PSI injector. Far smaller, far lighter, less amperage requirement, MUCH BETTER!!

edit: I forgot to include the first image :P
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

May 18, 2015: Datalogging AFR

Finally got my AFR gauge connected to my Propeller Microcontroller. It was so easy as the Innovate MTX-L has a simple 5vdc digital output. Just connected one wire and I was done

Now I am data logging AFR and manifold pressure.

And.... um well I quickly found out that I am in the 13.x:1 AFR range under full boost :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Ohhh man it's not good. So I'll need to sort this out, and like always, more to come on this ;) ;) ;)
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Between May and Sept I didn't have time to do much of anything with the MR2. It even was parked for a few weeks at a time during the summer while I was out doing this:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

And some of this:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

And some of this :cheese:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Went on a lot of wheeling trips for work and did a ton of marketing.

During this time however I knew I could not go on much longer without getting back on a race track.

So Mike and I talked about it and decided to schedule our next track event for LAGUNA SECA DEC 13, 2015!!!!!!!

Ohhh man this thread is about to get REAL SERIOUS REAL QUICK LET ME TELL YOU!!!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Laguna Seca for you! I'm heading to Maui!!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 30, 2015, 08:48:28 AM
Laguna Seca for you! I'm heading to Maui!!
They don't have any paved tracks on Maui!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."