Restricting oil flow to the upper end of the engine

Started by Sirdeuce, July 18, 2010, 11:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Reading an article on a mod popular with the high output 4AGE builders. They were installing restriction orifaces in the oil supply port in the block. Supposed to decrease oil windage in the crankcase and improve oil supply to the main and rod bearings. sounds like a good idea for competition engines, but I would like to do this mod for a high performance street engine. I know the oil supply to the head is quite a bit more than is necessary. In some cases, when the rings get a bit worn and blowby increases,  the oil tends to remain in the head and leads to starvation problems.  If the engines spinning at 9,000+ RPM can survive, maybe this can be a mod usable on performance street engines. Personnally,  I like the idea of feeding the main and rod bearings with a healthier dose of slippery stuff. The failures i have seen in these engines are under the head gasket. Only problems I see on the cam is from dirt in the system. But that just makes grooves in the journals and bores. I've yet to see a cam failure from low oil supply. I am however discounting the engines that the owners never perform maintenance, or check the oil and run dry.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."