Life with ZMM ZMM 3

Started by Sirdeuce, November 09, 2010, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

I bought the car for the little wife originally. We had a Mazda 3. It was a nice car, just lacking a little bit. The handling was decent in stock form, lots of fun in the hills, could hold it's own down the hill, but uphill it was a bit taxed. Anyone that knows me knows I'm a devout toyota nut! And I like to mod my cars. I thought the litte 3 neede a little kore power, about 30 horse would bring the car to life! A little work on the suspension would be nice too. I read an article on the proposed upgraded Mazda 3, by Mazdaspeed. Sport tuned suspension and a turboed 2.3 liter! I'm not a big fan of turboed cars, I like the sound and feel of an N/A powerplant, but this thing was going to have 263 hp and 280 lbs of torque! I wanted to try one! Time went by, I had to try one. More time went by, I wanted one! Release date kept moving up, finally, release date was in July 2006!! I'm GETTING one!! First shipment coming to the U.S. shores got knock off the ship and is resting at the bottom of the Pacific ocean.Yyyaaarrrggghhhhhh! Told the sales guy at Lithia to call me when they get in........ November 8 2006, 9:00 PM. I got a call, it was the only asian dude I ever met named William. We have one! Oh boy, I'll be there, it's mine!! 8:45 AM the paperwork was done and and we had the first Mazdaspeed 3 in the valley! Lithia didn't open for another 15 minutes and I was driving away. I looked at Will on the steps of the showroom floor ad waved. There was a guy standing on the steps with him, surprised look on his face! William was pointing at us. The guy was there to buy the 3. Sorry it's MINE!! Haahaahaaa!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

I've driven the little 3 up and down this hill hundreds of times! Never get bored with it! I try not to push my cars more than 7/10ths for safety sake, but the car has a suspension that really is quite good, and I think it would out do my MR2 in handling, dammit! I've pused the 3 into the triple digits in some of the spots on this hill, and it never complained at all! Enter the wife. She's driven the car up and down this hill at least 5 times as many as I have. She doesn't drive that fast, but she'll tell me how she had to slow down cause the car was doing 70mph and she didn't realise it. She even has had the 3 over the 'C'! They claim it'll do 155 mph, but I think it is governed at 255 Kmph, at least that is where it stopped accelerating for me! Just a hair over 155 mph! I have played with a couple of EVOs and rexs, even an Audi! Oh yeah, the Jetta 1.8ti, what a waste of time that was! Closest to a loss was a WRX, but I missed 3rd and still got him! Haven't had anybody try me in the hills though.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Now, the problems! Up to about 80,000 miles, none, just one recall that they fixed in a couple of hours. Though I'll never allow Lithia's service department touch any of my cars, outside of warranty work, ever again! Twice, not once, but twice! They failed to tighten the lugs on all four wheels and sent my wife home with the car in that condition! In town, at the speeds you get to drive there, n ot much of a problem. Up here it could kill you!!!! I was PISSED!! Still am! Replaced the front brakes at 84,000 miles and the drive by wire TB was replaced at 86,000 miles. The tps got some moisture on it and corroded a point on the pot. 87,000 miles the front struts went out and something in the stability control is awry. They replaced the struts, seemed to help a lot, but the car thinks it's middle aged and keeps telling me to slow down. I'll take it in in the next couple thousand miles. 'Till then, push the DSC button! Like telling your mom, who complains about how fast you're going, to shut up!

Sirdeuce

All in all, I'd give Mazda an A++ on this car! It's currently got 91,000 mile on the odo, and still goes apeshit when you push on the floorboard! I'll never give up my MR2, and I kick myself for letting my 86s go!(Not be cause of the way one met it's demise either Kevin. I just never should have sold them, I miss my 86.) Sorry Mazda, you haven't converted me yet, but cheating on my Toyotas has been fun! I do think I'll keep this Mazda though! Warranty is just about up! Let's see, downpipe, exhaust, short throw shifter, Cobb turbo inlet pipe, accessport, already has the Mazdaspeed intake, actually made a difference in the old ass dyno! All of the above = about a 315/325 hp/tq output! not bad for bolt ons! Wait 'till the engine goes though!

BigMike

Cool thread Bill :thumbs:

:worthless:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 01:36:48 PMFirst shipment coming to the U.S. shores got knock off the ship and is resting at the bottom of the Pacific ocean.Yyyaaarrrggghhhhhh!
WHAT?! :shocking: HOLY COW! I've never heard of a better time to finally get my scuba license!!!!!! :hyper:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 01:36:48 PMThe guy was there to buy the 3. Sorry it's MINE!! Haahaahaaa!
:tease:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 01:51:51 PMbut the car has a suspension that really is quite good, and I think it would out do my MR2 in handling
I always wonder what I'm gonna do if I ever find myself living comfortably. Do I get an Exige, or use the money to build a super, super clean and beautiful MK1? I don't know how I could ever replace the MK1 in my life. I'll admit technology has improved, but I've yet to convinced by any new car in terms of a pure driving experience. I wanna see a drivers car Toyota!! Sell me a RWD car without A/C or a radio that weighs under 2000 lbs!! :_order:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 01:51:51 PM
She even has had the 3 over the 'C'!
I remember the first time I drove faster than 1 centimile per hour :) What a thrill!

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 01:51:51 PMHaven't had anybody try me in the hills though.
Wait until I get my SC14 in. I'll put that new technology to work!!

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 02:03:46 PM
Though I'll never allow Lithia's service department touch any of my cars, outside of warranty work, ever again! Twice, not once, but twice! They failed to tighten the lugs on all four wheels
That is fantastic. Maybe they just didn't want to put the wheel studs under so much tensile stress? Ya gotta put yourself in their place! Poor little wheel studs :headshake:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 02:03:46 PM... the drive by wire TB was replaced at 86,000 miles.
Was it running strange, or did you just take it in for regular maintenance and they replaced it for you?

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 02:03:46 PMthe front struts went out and something in the stability control is awry. They replaced the struts, seemed to help a lot, but the car thinks it's middle aged and keeps telling me to slow down.
That sucks...

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 02:14:09 PM
I kick myself for letting my 86s go!
Just admit it, you don't like 4A-GE powered cars any more, you traitor!! :bat:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 02:14:09 PMSorry Mazda, you haven't converted me yet
hahaha well maybe if Mazada won't convince you then Toyota will convince you by continuing to build soccer mom sports cars! :headshake:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 09, 2010, 02:14:09 PMAll of the above = about a 315/325 hp/tq output! not bad for bolt ons!
Okay, Bill, but I don't think that's going to help your confidence, do you?
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

First thing, the BIG 'C'.
The TB was not sending a proper signal when cold, and the car wouldn't run above 2000 rpm.
I think about the 4AGE more than sex! They say it's like air, not important unless you aren't getting enough.
I still have hope for Toyota. 'Till they come up with something good, I'll stick with the old school cars.
My confidence problem, does it really show?