The Rebirth

Started by BigMike, May 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on October 31, 2010, 12:26:18 AM
Will that clutch fit the Poupe'?

For sure it will. It will be the same spline count. It has the dumb rubber bushings, not metal springs.
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

If you don't use it, bring it for the poupe'
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

STUPID FAST

Quote from: BigMike on October 30, 2010, 07:47:02 PM
Quote from: BryanH on October 30, 2010, 04:30:48 PM
Hmm, I can't remember that far back... :)  I think I usually had a 2psi difference front to rear, fronts were anywhere from 28-32 psi IIRC.
Okay, thank you for the feedback, sounds good. :thumbs: I have mine set at 32 in the rear and 27 up front at the moment :gap:

This is a developing story that reached its first high point today. When I did the 4A-GZE swap back in May I didn't have much $$ and needed to get the car running ASAP. So I was forced to run my old badly worn-out 4-pluck Exedy clutch that has been growling at me ever since. It is embarrassing, but if anyone asks I just say this is what all high performance ceramic clutches sound like :cheese:

The original plan was to get a 6-speed built sometime in July when I got back from Japan, but it didn't happen. So I've been saving $$ ever since and finally bought one from Southwest Foreign Auto Parts out of Pacoima (LA). I had a customer (who lives in Bakersfield & commutes to LA for work) pick it up and bring it to his house in Bakersfield.

Today I went to Bakersfield to pick it up. I called Big-K to see if he wanted to take a road trip so I wouldn't be bored out of my mind, and he and his wife Vern-o took me in their Corolla to pick up the 6spd.

The trans I got is a C60 from a 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS with only 64,000 miles on it. (Interesting, the XRS was only offered for two years and came with the 2ZZ-GE) I got a GREAT DEAL on it because it has a cracked case (see 2nd pic below). I only need the 3rd housing (tail housing) in order to convert a C5X into a 6spd, so this is PERFECT. Tomorrow I will extract the 6-speed gear set and get it ready to go into a C52 shell.

BigMike

im straight up jealous of you mike, thats the tranny i needed! 

BigMike

Update regarding my clutch situation...

I spoke to our clutch guy, who is at the SEMA show right now, and he said he only has ASCO (Korean) clutches for the MR2 and he is not sure if he has a high performance one or not. He told me to wait until about mid next week to call him back when he is at his office.... but, I wanted to get the trans installed this weekend, but I don't have a clutch kit yet, so I'm gonna have to wait until next weekend. But, it looks like even if this guy has a clutch kit, I won't get it by next weekend, so....

...I looked around on eBay and wow there are some pretty cheap clutch kits. This can only mean they are garbage but I wanted to get your opinion.

This "Stage 2" kit looks pretty good:

eBay item # 160466986394

Features:    This is a versatile set up for the street and on the track.
It provides a smooth engagement yet it can holds 50%+ more power over stock clutches.
The Carbonized kevlar friction material is used on all Stage 2 clutch kit to have higher burst strength and heat tolerance.
The heavy-duty sprung center with heat treated springs and retainer rivets to increase strengh and reliability.
The F1 Racing pressure plate features special single diaphragm design to increase clamp load.
F1 Racing pressure plate provides smooth and precise feel with easy modulation.

They claim it's rated for 205 HP or 196 ft/lbs TQ, and it sells for $125

Or I could get a "Stage 3" kit:

eBay item # 150458838646

Features:    Designed for those who seek the ultimate in clutch performance and reliability.
The 6-puck copper ceramic (also known as MIBA) disc features 12 high-coefficient friction pads that are resistant to slippage and ensures long lasting life.
The heavy-duty sprung center unit boasts heat treated springs and retainer rivets for the maximum power and durability.
The F1 Racing pressure plate features special single diaphragm design to increase clamp load.
F1 Racing pressure plate provides smooth and precise feel with easy modulation.

They claim it's rated for 315 HP or 287 ft/lbs TQ, and it sells for $139

I really like using plucked clutches because I think I will need to stay with that style since I'm planning on running about 250 crank horsepower by next summer. I also like the 6 pluck design (instead of my current 4 pluck) because it should last longer and be a bit less aggressive.

I LOVE my Exedy 4-pluck clutch kit and it has lasted much longer than it should have, but it is also a HIGH QUALITY clutch from a KNOWN and RESPECTED clutch manufacture. These eBay clutches are just some cheap kits that the guy is bulk selling. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So my thoughts are that I am on a budget, but I need a clutch kit that can hold up to a SC14. $139 seems like a good deal to me for a 6-pluck clutch. I'm sure the release bearing is non-Toyota, so I'll get a Toyota bearing locally.

So what do you guys think? Bill, is my TRD disk a 6-pluck or an 8-pluck?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

There are some nice ACT, Exedy, and Clutch Master kits and they are all over $380+ which I can NOT afford.

So I think I'm gonna try this F1 Racing Stage 3 clutch kit and see how it goes. I am gonna search around Google to see what people have to say about it before I order it.

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

For 139 bucks, what the hell. maybe you can find it to be a good set. the TRDdisc is aan 8 'pad' disc, not quite a puck type. You said the thing slipped from the start. I looked at it and it looks thinner than a standard disc. I wonder if it would have hooked up better with a deeper offset on the flywheel? A standard, organic type clutch is @0.325" thick  , the TRD disc is 0.315". Hmm, not really that much difference. Still, check the step on the flywheel.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Okay, I just found out they have a Stage 4 kit also (not listed on eBay) for $169

The difference is a better pressure plate:

http://gripforce.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_36_117_120&products_id=97

They rate the pressure plate at 1300 lbs :eyebrow:

They say it can handle 321 HP and 298 TQ

I like the Nachi bearing in the picture :thumbs:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Okay, I just ordered the Stage 4 kit for.................... only $127.77 :gap:

I found out the pressure plate is made in China but the disk is made in America. So I'll just have to wait to see what the pressure plate looks like. I mean I know I'm getting what I'm paying for..... I just don't have the resources for a quality clutch kit right now :down:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

My clutch kit came in last week. I'll be taking pics of it this weekend when I hopefully (finally) get it installed.

As for now, here is a picture I need to post on another site, so I'm uploading it here:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Almost looks like things could be mooved to the C-52 shaft. The actuator in the red oblong looks like it would line up close enough, and the roll pin seems to be drilled at the same angle. The reverse and forward gear actuators look like they have the same centers. Almost seems like you could swap all the pieces to the MR2 shaft. I would like to see it personally though.

BigMike

Yup, that is exactly what I am proposing on another forum ;)
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Okay,

I just went out (yes in the rain) and took a bunch of videos of my car cycling through 5 gears, three 0-60 sprints, and a 0-95 MPH. I also did some half-power quick shifts 1st through 4th, shifting at 4,000 rpm and another shifting at 5,000 rpm.

All-in-all I got almost 7 mins of footage.

I couldn't floor it in 1st gear due to the rain, but it should give a good approximation once I swap in the 6spd.

Here are a couple samples. This first one is going about 3/4-throttle shifting early at 5,000 each time. Also, remember my Tachometer is off by 10%. So 5,000 here is really only about 4,500 RPM at the engine. (I didn't have time to change the tach brain so I'll just make sure to take similar videos with the 6spd before I fix the tachometer.)

Also right when I engage 5th gear and lay into the boost the clutch slips :ha_ha: Poooooor thing, but I can't complain, I've had that thing since 2001 or 2002!

http://vid704.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid704.photobucket.com/albums/ww46/rakudasama/MR2/PowerShift5000RPM_transcoded.mp4

Secondly, here is a 0-60 MPH run. I estimate from the moment I begin to slip the clutch, 0-60 in 8.9 seconds. Remember I couldn't floor it in 1st, but still the car isn't lightening fast at only 145 HP :thumbs: But it sure is a blast to drive!! :yesnod:

When I slip the clutch you can hear the rivots-to-flywheel griding sound :ack:

http://vid704.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid704.photobucket.com/albums/ww46/rakudasama/MR2/0-60Run2_cropped_transcoded.mp4

Both of these were done on Temperance Ave between Central and American Aves. Nice flat road with orange groves on both side to minimize exposure, and no side streets.

I am off to the shop now to pull out the C56 and get everything prepared for the C60 swap tomorrow!!! Many pictures to follow!!

BigMike

EDIT: WOW Stupid Photobucket screwed up the video-to-audio timing. It's probably because I transcoded it using a variable bit rate. STUPID. Okay, I will get those fixed later, I wanna go work on my car!! :wave:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Ok guys,

Just got back home :thumbs: Got the C56 pulled and the clutch/flywheel. It was a very easy job. I remember it being a bit more work but this was really easy. I know stabbing the new trans will be tough but I'm a lot stronger now than I was 10 years ago

On to some pics!

1st pic: Start of the project
2nd: Everything up top removed/unbolted
3rd: Everything down below removed/unbolted
4th: C56 on the floor :greengrin:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

The trans is oily do to the mid-engine shifter modification requirement (since this came out of a FWD AE89 Corolla) that wasn't done properly. I've had an extremely slow seepage leak for many moons. :puke3:

1st pic: This is how I supported the engine. Very simple and I didn't have to worry about the dang cherry picker being in my way.
2nd: Look ma, no transaxle!
3rd: The 9 year old Exedy clutch and 11 year old TODA chromoly flywheel  :eyebrow:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Finally, here are some shots of the sweeeeeeet clutch setup I've been strangling to death :thud:

1st pic: Check out the gouge marks on the pressure plate!!!!!!! :ack:
2nd: The pressure plate. NICE!! 8)
3rd: The flywheel. I knew it would be okay because the Chromoly steel is very good. You can't even feel the grooves. This will come right out when it gets resurfaced tomorrow morning :yesnod:
4th: Rivet Action :willynilly:

And that's it for tonight! Tomorrow I will get to the shop early and finish tearing down the C60 (I'm about 25% into it). Then I'll build the custom C56/C60 Hybrid, install resurfaced flywheel with new clutch, and get it back on the road for some comparison videos!! :greengrin: I Can't wait! :applaus: 6 SPEED TIME TOMORROW!!! :driving: X6!!!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤