December 3, 4 & 5, 2010: Arse-Freeze-Apalooza

Started by BigMike, October 11, 2010, 09:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Check out the interior of the CRX. WOW

I was particularly interested in that "HOT LAP" lap time device they had mounted immediately to the right of the steering column. Also note the yellow transponder? mounted to the cage up high (picture foreground). I wonder what something like this costs. Anyone know??

I really like this Celica. They spent a LOT of time theming it. My best guess is that it was a Mad Max theme. It was SA-WEEEET.

They had like 5 distributor caps mounted to the hood and intake plumbing from 101 different cars running all over it like it was some sort of space craft. I liked it :thumbs:

Check out this Porsche. How are they finding these cars for $500?? They had some sound system with lights and they played some hard core rap music for the judges. That was their theme, to look like a bunch of hip hop thugs

I liked the work they did to their doors. This is what we'll do to ours since we are now required to have doors (new rule for 2011).

I saw a couple cars out there with head gaskets zip tired to the roll cage. My guess is that they do this to show the judges that they bought the car for cheap because it had a blown gasket. We should do this for ours! Bill, got any old junk gaskets laying around :idea:

The guy in the yellow was another :bullshit: judge and he wasn't happy at all. They had aftermarket springs, shocks, and sway bars with NO DOCUMENTATION. They judge was like "Come on guys, you're making this hard on me"

Here is the table with all the bribes. So much boooooooze!!!

This is awesome, I think we should do something creative like this. That is a pressure plate atop some shocks with a clutch disk base :eyebrow:

And these Crab Cookies I can only imagine came from the Time Bandit car :yesnod:

Check these guys out. This is "Team Jailbait"

Check out their car number!! "Almost 18" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :clap: :clap2:

More misc pics...

Every car was required to rev the engine while the judge flipped the kill switch. Every car had their switch mounted in seemingly random locations.

This is team "Air Prance" and their Citroën. I've seen pictures of this team online before :thumbs:

The guy had a little dance with the tech inspector. It was really funny and everyone was laughing and point fingers :)

Here is some huge Saab engine that looked like it was ready to break down

This Daihatsu team was telling the judges how they had a genuine race car

When they opened the hood they were pointing and bragging about everything. Such as, "This blue paint gives us 10 more HP, this brake master cylinder came from an Enzo, and this air box is from a Lamborghini" hahaha it was funny.

I like how they are getting air to the stock air box

-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

This Bug pulled up and it really drew a crowd

They had some draw through carbureted Turbo setup that they judges especially liked. One judge laughed and said it will never make it through Sat. HA! (He was right, the bug did break down!)

They had this martian guy sitting as co-pilot.

I think their theme was to be martians or space travelers of some sort.

And get this, everyone is holding cans of SPAM!! LOL

Cool Supra. It was a 5M

Here is the engine from the Team Jailbait's Miata

Then these guys rolled up. HAHA This was awesome. They had an air powered Marshmellow cannon and were shooting marshmellows all over the place! It was great :clap:

Team Marvin the Martian!!

Hey what is that monkey doing to that poor football?!!

I liked this adjustable spoiler

Everyone had been asking us if we'd seen the Limo, where is the Limo, have you heard about the Limo. Finally it arrived. It raced! Pretty crazy!

Team America!

Many of these cars had the complete dash still intact like this

I liked this little 914 :yesnod:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Then we left the tech inspection and decided to find some MR2 teams.

We found the registration booth. Here is some apparel for sale

Here are all the transponders that each car is required to mount on board

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Ok, Mike, you have some good ears!! I didn't hear any cursing when those cars were going by us!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Then we finally found a MR2 team, and what a treat it was!

This is a very famous MR2 team whose team page I have bookmarked!

We must have hung out and chatted for almost a solid hour. They are from Oregon and this is like their 11th or 12th race with the same car!!

And when we walked around to the back, what did we find????? :o :o :o A 1ZZ-FE MR-S engine!!!!! DANG!!

But they said it is not wired correctly and is "barely" faster than the 4A. Well looking at the results from the race maybe they are right because they averaged a slower lap time and top speed than other 4A-GE powered MR2s of the day.

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

The MG with a 4AG? I'm liking the idea of a turbo. Our Poupe' won't just have piles of fake poop, it'll be a whole turd in itself.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

I took a TON of pictures of their roll cage. They were extremely nice and offered us a LOT of advice!!

A bit messy

I took waaaaay too many roll cage pictures to share here. When we get ready to build our cage they will be most valuable

Check this out, this is the coveted "MR2 Cup" trophy that the fastest MR2 team wins after every race. They won this from the Sears Pointless event earlier this year in March.

Another MR2 rolled up and was actually a friendly competitor also from Oregon. Both teams drove down together and they've been doing it for years!

I also got a ton of pics of this other team's cage. It was done really well. We've got a lot of great pictures to look over.

This is the "stock" 4A-GE of this other car

Check out the stickers! This is the 6th event this MR2 has raced! NICE!

They said that the MR2 is surprisingly a very strong car for its size. They say it is one of the longest lasting LeMons car to build because it has so much sheet metal, it is VERY durable. They said other cars can't enter race after race after race but the MR2 can. That is great to know!!

And lastly, here is a cool two seater fiberglass car that was out there playing around just for fun. It was pretty SA-WEEEET!

And that's it! That was an AWESOME time! I took a lot of video but I don't think I will bother uploading them because it's mostly miscellaneous footage and it would take too long to edit out boring sections.

Can't wait to get our car built and join in on the fun!!!!!!!!! :_order:

Mike
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BryanH

Quote from: BigMike on December 17, 2010, 07:49:02 PMThen we saw a 2nd gen MR2. Wow only $500 huh? okay
Those guys (Team Fugawi) are from Fresno!  One of the drivers, the redhead guy, is pretty good.  Drives a modified Fox-body Mustang in NASA events.

BigMike

Quote from: BryanH on December 18, 2010, 02:02:22 AM
Quote from: BigMike on December 17, 2010, 07:49:02 PMThen we saw a 2nd gen MR2. Wow only $500 huh? okay
Those guys (Team Fugawi) are from Fresno!  One of the drivers, the redhead guy, is pretty good.  Drives a modified Fox-body Mustang in NASA events.
Wow, this is good to know. The guys from Oregon said that team doesn't have the fastest car, but they always put up good results because of how consistent and organized they are.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BryanH

Plus it's a 5SFE-powered MK2, so you know it will out-handle an AW11, and never break.   :therethere:

Sirdeuce

BigMike

Quote from: BryanH on December 18, 2010, 12:16:33 PM
Plus it's a 5SFE-powered MK2, so you know it will out-handle an AW11, and never break.   :therethere:
In your dreams!! Compared to the MK1, the MK2 will fold faster than superman on laundry day!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤