Stock valve springs & 8,000+ RPM

Started by BigMike, February 07, 2010, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Hey Bill,

I was writing down a list of things I want to do for my MR2, and I was thinking that if I choose to raise my redline above 8,000 RPM I might have some valve floating issues if I use an aggressive cam with stock springs.

So this made me think about the FX. If we need some higher rate valve springs, when we are putting the head together, we could install a washer between each valve spring and the head. This won't increase the spring rate, but it will increase the force pushing the valve up which will make it harder to float valves with stock springs

That is our heck-a cheap poor-mans aftermarket valve spring modification :D
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

I thought I put it in my list of thing I was willing to donate to the cause, but I guess I forgot. So here is a piece I forgot to list;  Ahem..... TODA valve springs. Does that help with your latest concern??
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

kdogae86

do i have the valve springs in my garage? not gonna replace the cams until i gots the springs too.

Sirdeuce

No worries, stock springs can handle those cams at stock revs. Benn running same grind in the FX16, stock engine. It;ll be OK.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."