Weak suspension components

Started by Sirdeuce, September 03, 2010, 05:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Bryan, have you ever bent the strut rods in the rear? I've seen this before, but never thought much of it. The rear strut rod bending up in the middle. Especially the right side. I thought it was just from run-ins with big potholes. I've given it a bit more thought. I believe it's from hard, abusive launches! Check your strut rods, might need to reiforce them. Good idea for you too Mikey.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

The rear control links are weak for sure. We need to brace them up :)

This is my passenger's side and I got the car with it already bent. I've never replaced it. I will get it replaced before Kevin does my alignment (hopefully soon)
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

Sirdeuce

Check the other rods too. This red MR2 is the third one I've seen with a bent strut rod.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BryanH

Hm, I can't recall any of mine being bent.  Here's the only photo I have handy -- the right rear from my old red car:

I have heard about these bending when people use them to jack up the car, which seems silly as they're not very thick.

kdogae86

well that pic dont help... thats a lower spring strut(lower control arm) and the tie rod.nice after market lca though.

BryanH

Isn't the non-painted, thinner diameter part in the foreground the one in question?  That picture was taken from under the back bumper.

That control arm is stock, just painted and with Prothane bushings. :)

Sirdeuce

The component in question is yhe strut rod. The rod going through the outer control arm bushing. I had one in my MR2 R-side that was bent, replaced it. and 2 of the MR2s I have here the R-side rod is bent. Including the one we are using for the Poupe'.

BigMike

Probably Bryan is right in that re-tads place a jack beneath those rods and jack them up, literally. I bet that is how mine got bent
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Could be, but it is a possibility the torque shock from a hard shift can do it. I've just seen way too many to think people are that ignorant. I mean, I've had 7 of these little cars, and of the current flock 3 are bent, counting the Poupe'. 2 of the others I have had and are gone were bent too. I mean, if there are that many people out there that would not know enough about their cars to bend that many of the same pieces!! Sends shivers down my spine! Besides, it's been the right side only that I've seen so far. So just for the sake of my own sanity, I'll go with weak components.  I'd rather reinforce a part for a competition, and be safe! Although the only real thing that goes out of whack is the caster, not sure if that would affect the rear suspension as much as the front. Better safe than sorry y'know.

BigMike

One thing we can do is make measurements of the common easily replaceable control rods and bring a hand full of em. Then if some huge 1970s boatcar clips us off and takes out that rod we can limp back to pits for a replacement.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

kdogae86

well can we attach a big piece of steel to it or somethin? sound like if its reinforced to begin with than it may be able to hold up. but comparing all the suspension to a germ car...all the suspension pieces look like tooth picks

kdogae86

might be a good idea to put some lube on all the suspension bolts so we can swap them out quicker. normal road car i would put lock tite on but for a race it will be a pain if everything is too tight.

kdogae86

rear caster shouldnt matter what so ever on the rear.but caster affects camber because when its bent it changes the length witch also changes camber than in turn
changes toe. yeah ive done way too many alignments and repairs on cars that hit curbs. i agree with bill that that many people cant be jacking from the suspension.
maybe we should make our own suspension. when we learn the geometry and metalurgy we can start our own real race team. but seriously could we make our own suspension parts.

Sirdeuce

I was thinking of putting a steel tube over the strut rods, or even make a set from chromoly.

BigMike

Quote from: kdogae86 on December 11, 2010, 04:33:29 PM
might be a good idea to put some lube on all the suspension bolts so we can swap them out quicker.
This is an excellent idea. I plan to bring both electric and air powered 3/4" and 1/2" wrenches.

Regarding stiffening up suspension components, remember in the case of a serious accident, something has to give. If we take away those "fuses" it may result in more catastrophe damages. This isn't to say I don't support the idea, just food for thought. I agree we should beef'n them up & also bring a good amount of spare parts :thumbs:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤