December 3, 4 & 5, 2010: Arse-Freeze-Apalooza

Started by BigMike, October 11, 2010, 09:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Sorry I've been just WAAAAAAY to busy to post up any pics. I probably won't get time to post pics until either Thurs or not until after finals. I will pretty much be a ghost for the next 2 weeks.

In the mean time, here are results after day one: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/arse-freeze-a-palooza-day-one-over-fed-up-e30-battles-cbr1000-engined-geo-for-lead/

Lots of pics and details from the first day of racing! Check it out!!!

Mike
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Woah, did you read that the "Team America" turbocharged Miata has a Mazdaspeed engineer and a Garrett engineer on its team? :o :o

QuoteSpeaking of Mr. Coleman, we find that the team of the famous automotive journalist and Mazdaspeed engineer now has the third position in the standings, a mere one lap behind the Sweet Little Ladybug and F'ed-Up Express. Do some feel that a turbocharged Miata-based team has an unfair advantage with engineers from Mazda and Garrett on board? We think Eyesore does so well because they don't make mistakes, but LeMons conspiracy theorists believe otherwise.

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Wow check these quotes out.. We saw the Heinz Ketchup car and the carbureted Turbo VW beetle driving around in the pits.

QuoteMeanwhile, something like half the vehicles that managed to clank onto the track done blowed up today, and the teams had varying degrees of success duct-taping them back into quasi-running condition.

QuoteTeam Hot Dogs Starion (actually a Conquest) nuking its transmission in the morning

Quotethe former Index-of-Effluency-winning Dust & Debris Dodge Shadow managed to consume one of its V6′s pistons this afternoon; all that’s left is a wrist pin, some ugly cylinder-wall gouges, and a fine sprinkling of aluminum powder all over the engine’s innards.

Quotethe -ing With Bad Ideas VW Beetle, which features a draw-through turbo setup on a Type 3 engine. This Volks was doing pretty well for a while, but then something (perhaps excessive cylinder pressure?) made some of the cylinder head nuts back off, which caused a base gasket (or whatever VW geeks call the gasket between the cylinder and block) to blow.

alright, back to studying........
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

On the VW, we used shims under the barrels to control compression. The oil was sealed with silicone. The thing I figured would kill the VW was a backfire! The pressurized side of the turbo was ABS waste fittings! A draw through turbo pushing a mixture of fuel and air under pressure through heated plastic! A minor, impersceptable leak past an intake valve???? BOOOOOMM!! But as for the actual failure? I'd say a head bolt pulled. A very common failure.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

WINNER HAS BEEN POSTED!!!!   http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/and-the-winner-is-3/

It was the FedUp BMW E30!!! Apparently they have been slowly climbing their way up to the top: They entered all 4 West Coast events, and finished 10th, 3rd, 2nd, and now 1st!

This is how I vision us, a top-20 finish in March and then gradual improvement until we take 1st place :)  I don't think an MR2 has ever finished first, which is why we are gonna do it! Records are meant to be broken! :_order:

2nd place was the Turbo Miata with the two Engineers, and they also won as the overall LeMons National Champion and are getting a free trip to an actual LeMons race IN FRANCE!! WOW :o :o :o
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Here is the "real" winner, winning the 'Index of Effluency' is the Fiat 600 with a 1000cc Moto Guzzi motorcycle engine swap:

More info here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/and-the-real-winner-is-2/
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Alright guys, that is our main competition right there. We've gotta beat an E30 and a Turbo Miata

I Wikipedia'd the E30 and they are 169 HP and 2300-3000 pounds stock. So I wonder if they have 180ish HP and 2000-2300 pounds, ohhhhhhhhhhhh man that is gonna be tough to beat
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Blane525

Dude i am starting a morning walk program that was very hard not to jump out of my seat and :tantrum: on that v8 pig! almost couldn't pass  :eyebrow: boy that Mazda was bdass!! two days before event. I will not be able to have any :coffee: my bp went up 25 points watching that vid... Thanx for the pics :burnout: outta here....

Sirdeuce

Aw hell! The race was run in the opposite direction than on open track day! That's gotta be tough to start with the next day!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Did you see from 1:45 to 1:55 they overtook the Formula-1 Racing MR2 like it was nothing!

It is really neat watching the Miata in the guys rear view mirror after he passes him :thumbs:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

so here are pics from the trip. I wanted to wait until after finals to upload them. So here goes!

Bevin drove Bill and I in his Civic :driving: Thanks Blane525 :wave: Here we are getting lunch at a TacoSmell in Kettleman City

No sooner did we stop and we noticed this across the street at a gas station. AWESOME!!! Bob's Big Boy theme

Here is a row of palm trees leading to the track

X marks the spot

We had to sign a couple waivers before entering. Fortunately it was free to get in on Friday because none of us had any cash lol

Right off the back we were driving past pit after pit of teams working on their cars

Check out the TIME BANDIT!!

Found a lil MB Midget

It looked cool so we walked over to investigate

Check out the rotary transplant!!! 8) 8)

Loved the wiffle ball head lights

Cool Z car

Then we got a bit closer to the track and there were a bunch of cars entering and leaving the track.
Here are some misc pics:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Here is what the track looks like. Pretty much just a flat desert track

While we were watching the cars go by, check out what pulled up right in front of us!

I've already posted pics of this car so I'll just share a few.

The guy in the red suit was SUPER nice. We must have chatted for a good 10 mins straight

More cars cursing around us. It was AWESOME so many cars all custom built, really fun to see all of this!

Check out the awesome modern Audi led lights :bling:

Then we saw a 2nd gen MR2. Wow only $500 huh? okay

Then we walked away from the pits and checked out the corners at the north end of the track

Got to see the MR2 make a couple laps

We think this guy ran out of gas

Then we headed back to the pits to check out some more cars

It was cool, people would let ya just walk up, take pictures, ask questions, etcetera

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

We found a car with a poop theme! OH NOES! But ours will be much better :yesnod:

This rider atop this Porsche was a sex blow up doll. They even had the shirt unbuttoned and both :boobs: were fully exposed LOL

Yes, it does :idea:

This Nissan NX was tearing it up out there. It was seriously fast.

We figured it had a Turbo in it, and when we checked it out we found this SR, VERY NICE! :burnout:

They had complete sets of brand new Azenis 195/60R14 hanging out. One set was fully mounted.

Shot of the interior

Walked around some more...

Cars everywhere!!

Bizarre stuff continues

Hey blane525 it's you, #999!

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

More misc pics

Check out this original Mini complete with a spare engine

So everything looks pretty normal I guess...

Ohhhh! What's that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A TURBO!!!

So I asked how much power it has and they said, "Well it had about 60 HP before so now we're hoping it has about 75" :rofl: :rofl2: :driving: :burnout:

More misc pics

Another Turbo!!!

Check out this car. This little Metro was powered by a, drum roll please, Suzuki 1000cc Motorcycle engine!!!!!

Here is the V8 Ford Model T GT

Then we made our way over to the tech and :bullshit: inspection area

All of these Civics we saw had D16 or D18 swaps. This CRX actually had a B16 swap at a former race and the judges laughed and asked what the last 4 digits of their VIN was. The owner said, "4687" (or whatever it was) and the judges said "Ok, that is the number of lap penalties for you" :ack:

Another D16 CRX

But this one had NOS!

My little pony Mustang :o

The guy to the left in the black cape was one of the :bullshit: judges. He opened the hood on the CRX and was like, "Ohh goodie, are these for me?" lol Then he promptly painted a "BRIBED" logo on the car's roof :tease:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤