Team FẻCal's Official Application Story

Started by BigMike, November 05, 2010, 09:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Ok,

I am going to start a build thread on the Official 24 Hours of LeMons Forum so we can get our name out there and get approval of the community and judges who frequent the their forums.

I feel that if we have a nice, lengthy build thread showing all the sweat and blood (Bill has proof!) that we spent of it, it will be much better than just showing up one day with a killer MR2.

So here is what I need: I need to come up with a believable story of how we got two cars, Nology spark plug wires, TRD header, etcetera and will get the whole car built for under $500

Let the stories begin!
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

How about this:

We have a friend whose son grew up and moved away and left his beat-up white MR2 at home. The car sat for a couple years and then our friend needed to clean up his property. So he sold us the white car for dirt cheap, like $150. We even had to drive 4 hrs round trip to pick it up. Then, when we got it home, we realized it had nology wires and a TRD header.

As for the red car, we could tell the truth in that it is my car that I bought only for the engine, wiring harness, interior, and transaxle, and then I sold the empty shell to the team for $100.

???????
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Also, if we go with the dual throttle bodies and run the MAP-based EFI, what can we say about that? We went to a wrecking yard and lifted an entire EFI system from a 1991 Geo Prism on half-off Sunday?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

We knew a guy that lived in an apartment complex who did a conversion on his sweet 86 MR2, and the apartment manager was on his ass to get rid of the shell. He paid Mikey $50 to haul it away! Hell, it was just a shell anyway! As for the white car, yeah we got it supercheap! It was out in the boonies, no lie there, $150 sounds decent. Make sure to put the pics from yuour white 2's interior to show the mouse feces. We'll claim all that came from the white car we got for parts. We have pics of all the cool stuff we got with the car, so that's covered. Mike, don't you need new springs for your car? We could use those on the poupe'r. We could get a set and take pics of them on the white car, or even on my poor baby.Need to get someone not connected to the team to buy them so there is no trail. The parts we plan to use on the engine?? We just take pics of the pile I have in my uh storage room. We can say I picked up the ECU at a swap meet years ago with the intention of converting my car, but I could never get the ignitor, so I gave up. Donated it to the cause, hell I'm not out much only paid $20 for it.(I paid more, but they don't know that!) I might have a way to use the USDM ignitor anyway, we'll see. If it doesn't pay out, we will need an ignitor.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Wow, stupid Google Chrome closed while I was typing a huge reply to this :( Here I go again...

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 05, 2010, 10:15:30 PM
We knew a guy that lived in an apartment complex who did a conversion on his sweet 86 MR2, and the apartment manager was on his ass to get rid of the shell. He paid Mikey $50 to haul it away! Hell, it was just a shell anyway!
Ok, sounds good. I have pictures of me picking the red car up from the guys house in San Diego on our flatbed trailer, so that will work great. I'll say it is a condo.

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 05, 2010, 10:15:30 PMAs for the white car, yeah we got it supercheap! It was out in the boonies, no lie there, $150 sounds decent. Make sure to put the pics from yuour white 2's interior to show the mouse feces.
I really like the idea of using the pic of my mouse poo, but, those pics are posted in my project thread which is viewable by anyone. Any guest can come to the forum and see those pics. So, hmmmmm

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 05, 2010, 10:15:30 PMWe'll claim all that came from the white car we got for parts. We have pics of all the cool stuff we got with the car, so that's covered.
I am just wondering how skeptical people will be when they see that we got all that stuff for just $150...

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 05, 2010, 10:15:30 PMMike, don't you need new springs for your car? We could use those on the poupe'r.
Negative Ghost Rider. I really love my suspension setup.

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 05, 2010, 10:15:30 PMThe parts we plan to use on the engine??
I think it will be okay on this. I am certainly not gonna post any pics of the engine internals! That will be our little secret :)

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 05, 2010, 10:15:30 PMWe can say I picked up the ECU at a swap meet years ago with the intention of converting my car, but I could never get the ignitor, so I gave up. Donated it to the cause, hell I'm not out much only paid $20 for it.
The better we document everything the less chance we will get hit with B.S. laps. I wonder if they would believe that all we bought was the ECU and the MAP sensor and then we just re-wired the system? Then we can just say the ECU was $20, the MAP sensor was $10, and the igniter was $15. I'll even make a phony Craigslist ad with instructions on how to replace the AFM system!

:idea:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

ECU was 20 bucks, I stole the sensor from pick-n-pull, makes that piece FREE. The ignitor was out of the MR2 we got. I'm sure there is a way to wire it up. The harness is the AFM style rewired to work the MAP system. See if Bryan can find some springs from some autoXer. He might even be able to get some from someone he knows for nothing. If we can, we'll get better shocks, but for now we'll still plan on the GR2's. If we get new shocks, a rag with saltwater does a great job on 'antiqueing' steel. AS for your springs, I thought MAYBE you wanted a set like Chee's.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Keepeing with the poupe' bit, shouldn't be Team Fe'Cal?

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 06, 2010, 12:07:23 PMECU was 20 bucks, I stole the sensor from pick-n-pull, makes that piece FREE. The ignitor was out of the MR2 we got. I'm sure there is a way to wire it up. The harness is the AFM style rewired to work the MAP system.
All great ideas. But I am still thinking that the judges want to see as much documentation as possible....

...which just made me think about this: We need to "know" what the judges thoughts are. So, logically, I think I should wait to post our project on their forum until after we get a glimpse of the judges on December 4th! Yeah, definitely let's see how ruthless they are, and we will learn a lot from how much other teams prepared. (I'm probably putting waaaaay too much thought into the story, I just want to make sure we get it straight from the start.)

As for Poupẻ's suspension, weren't we just gonna go with the stock springs with a lower ride height? Remember the stock springs are rated for a 2300 lb car, so they might feel like an aftermarket spring when used on a sub-2000 pound car.

As for my suspension, Chee has a nice setup but for regular daily driving, I prefer my more intermediate suspension setup. It is just comfortable enough on the open highway yet just aggressive enough to have a lot of fun in the mountains. I will wait to go coil-overs for when I build my track MR2 car and bring my HIPSIv2.5 back to life :yesnod:

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 06, 2010, 12:12:04 PM
Keepeing with the poupe' bit, shouldn't be Team Fe'Cal?
DUDE!!! NICE!!!!!!!!

Team FẻCal and the Little Deuce Poupẻ
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Sirdeuce

Team Fe'Cal, A California based team of 6 backwoods social rejects.  Acquired a real pile of a car and built it to be the Little Deuce Poupe'. Come to join your effluent society and defile your track with their disgusting habits and backwoods driving technique (tekneek).

Sirdeuce

Every team needs a catch phrase. Suggestions are wanted.

Polish a turd, it's still a turd!

Shit rolls downhill!

A new level of stupid!

Yaw haw, saniflush
If that don't work, use a brush

And one my Granpanused a lot. To this day I have absolutely NO idea what he meant. But when something went awry you could hear him a block away!!

Aww, shit and two is eight!

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Sirdeuce

Couple of ideas for car names, in case the Poupe' gets wasted. The Corolla can be the the Tootsie Co'Roll ahhhhh, like it just got dropped. The Calica could be the Celicaca.

Sirdeuce

Need an emoticon holding it's nose for the website.