Big-K's RX-7 Aspiration

Started by BigMike, December 02, 2010, 01:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

If you have current insurance, you get 30 days to get insurance on a new vehicle. Just be sure to take proof of insurance with you when you go to pick up your new toy. You won't need a one day pass unless the vehicle is out of registration. Be sure the day you go to pick it up won't be necessary to have chains, unless you are prepared to purchase chains. Maybe the car will have a set?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

kdogae86

well just bummed myself out looking at rebuild kits for the 13b. man that craps expensive. seems like more expensive than dealing with a piston engine which are more fun anyway. not sure what ta do now

kdogae86

well i guess it would still be cheaper than making payments on a newer car with interest for the next 6yrs. felt better after seeing how expensive wrxs still are.

BryanH

I thought 13B rebuild kits weren't that expensive... I mean there aren't that many parts to a rotary engine.  Does it include new rotors and housings or something?

Sirdeuce

The rotary is a lot of fun! Don't run scared from your project due to cost! Nothing is cheap. Doing a piston engine is cheaper if you use sub-standard parts, but to do a proper build would cost more than a rotary. Take for instance my 4AGE. Head gasket, 140  bucks. Pistons, 600 bucks. Connecting rods, 700 bucks. parts and labor for the cylinder head @1800 bucks. Machine work and balancing another 450 bucks. other bits and pieces run another $1,000 or so. Just to build an engine that puts out about 150-160 hp, $4,000-$5,000??? Go ahead, put that into your rotary! Maybe a turbo?  You can do some great things with that RX7!! And if you want to have a stand alone EFI but can't afford one, Greddy e-manage is not too far off. The e-manage can be bypassed, or set to a defaul setting to get by smog. Naw, don't shy away from the rotary!!  Hell, if you want to talk expensive! look at the Scoot 4 rotor engine! I think you could have one for like $20,000! Output is somewhere in the 600-700 hp range! As for the smogging of the thing, it has twice the rotors, have them smog it twice!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

STUPID FAST

ive driven a fd and it was pretty darn fun.  i love the looks of the fb though gsl-se model and turbo it

BigMike

-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

STUPID FAST

BigMike

I used to own a FA and now I drive my FE :gap:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

What's up, any progress with this Kevin? It looks like Chee (stupidfast) is gonna be getting a FC soon!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤