Previous topic - Next topic

kdogae86

except for the 5 gallon bucket vent mod
hahaha

BigMike

Quote from: kdogae86 on March 30, 2010, 08:59:01 PM
except for the 5 gallon bucket vent mod
hahaha

That's pretty sweet huh, and a great idea! That would create quite the high pressure at the side vent!
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Quote from: BigMike on March 30, 2010, 07:50:20 AM
Check this one out...

Hey guys, I found the website for this car:

---> http://beater-car.blogspot.com <---

Check out the cage work. I really like how they extended the cage all the way back to the rear strut towers. Excellent idea that certainly adds structural rigidity to the car

They've done a great job with this car. They have gutted it out quite a bit. We'll be taking it a huge step farther by ditching both doors.

Interesting things I notice:
  • Check out their CB Radio
  • They only have side impact tubing on the drivers side?
  • They left the drivers side of the dash intact? We'll do better be removing it all but we need to keep the top piece to prevent glare probably
  • Stock drivers seat. That is awesome. The stock MR2 seats are great and they are also very light for an OEM seat with adjustable lumbar, lower back, reclines, etcetera.
  • Stock steering wheel. A slightly smaller wheel makes a HUGE difference
  • Maybe the MR2 doesn't require the back of the seat to be hard-mounted to any cage work? Hard to tell from the pic, but if you think about it, if we got rear-ended badly, the seat isn't going anywhere really...
  • Door glass, rear b-pillar glass, and rear window are all gone
  • They've left a lot of plastic components including the seat belt return lever, door jam vent cover, even the passenger's side dome light door ajar push-button remains despite not even having the dome light itself!
  • No rear view mirror... interesting......... crazy
  • We'll need our wink mirror to fit with the interior cage
  • The entire blower fan & heater core is there
  • They removed the center console. I say we keep our console so we can have a nice comfortable arm rest. It is practically weightless

QuoteWhen our overheating issue returned at the beginning of day one we considered our options. We decided to suffer through the day refilling the cooling system as needed implement a fix in the evening. After watching Paul do a 7 hour head gasket job only to still have overheating issues, we decided to it would be better to find a more effective way to refill and bleed the cooling system than tear the engine open.

I'd seen Team Eyesore's weed sprayer with a pressure fitting on their cooling system and suggested we copy them. Randal took it a step further and mounted the bottle in the cab so we could refill on the track. The pressure bottle feeds through a ball valve and into the heater circuit on the engine. We would pump the bottle a few times on the front straight and if we thought the engine was getting warm, we opened the valve for a few seconds. Not really a solution, but certainly an effective temporary fix. We didn't overheat again during the race!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

I noticed they are running Falken Azenis tires (probably the RT-615K) on the stock triangle rims.

According to http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/Azenis-RT-615K-14, the only 14" tire they make is a 195/60R14 (tread-wear 200)

195mm wide tire on the stock rims is good, but I'd prefer to see a 205mm tire: more traction and also more rubber = longer wearing.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Talking to Kevin just now, we both noticed the following:

"Rule 3.8.1: Brake Lights: At all times, each car must have at least one working brake light that is easily seen from the rear. The light should be located where a mild rear-end impact won't break or obscure it. Good spots include inside the rear-windshield area; on top of the parcel shelf; and on the deck at the base of the rear-windshield area."

So we only need the 1 brake light on the spoiler as this team has done. This is how there were able to ditch the entire rear light assemblies. Great idea. They do have some other light or perhaps just a reflector in the middle/top of the license plate holder... They could have removed more plastic from the back of the car there.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

kdogae86

ive read on forums where people are afraid to get rid of any wiring cause you never know when youll kill a common ground.dont think well have that problem

kdogae86

i dont want to drive with a potential 200 deg bomb sitting next to me!

BigMike

^^^ lol

Quote from: kdogae86 on April 18, 2010, 11:28:27 PM
ive read on forums where people are afraid to get rid of any wiring cause you never know when youll kill a common ground.dont think well have that problem

yeah, seriously we won't have annnnnnnnnnnnnnny trouble at all with wiring :D
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Mount the stock light from the spoiler at the inside top rear window.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Hey check this out, someone went with the ass-less concept. Also no front bumper. I understand this is very, very light, but..... it is also very, very fragile :ack:

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I like assless, but would keep the front intact for the aero. Reinforce rear with a nerf bar or relocate bumper and tie into cage.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

I would keep the top for the aero also. But if we were to cut the top off, keep windshield frame for ease of mountig windscreen. But still keep the top in case of RAIN!!

BigMike

Hmmmmm that picture just made me think about this....

From http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/usercontent/lemons/2011rules.pdf,

Quote3.13: Nerf Bars Not Allowed: Added structural elements that extend past the original bodywork line are not allowed. In other words, no nerf bars, wheel-protection cages, or crash bars. (Worried about your car being damaged? Here's an idea--don't hit anyone.)

So..... It seems that we could go ass-less and still build some sort of cage/structural framework -- like what those guys did in the above pic -- and as long as it's within the "original bodywork line" it is okay.

Question: How will the weight compare using a tube cage out the back instead of the stock sheetmetal?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

We got a car we can experiment on, ya know. C'mon over and we'll do some sawzall work.