Project P.O.S.

Started by Sirdeuce, March 10, 2012, 08:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

1987 Corolla FX16. Gettin' it back on th' road. Little car has been sitting for about four years, let's see how it goes. First thing was to make sure the engine would still run. Check fluids, drop in a battery and turn the key. After a few seconds of cranking, the engine came to life. SWEET! It  runs! Now to fix the reason for parking it in the first place. Motor mounts were all broken and the shocks are dead.
The motor mounts are the first chore. Ordered, received and installed. Installed, but not without a few problems. First, the mount for the front of the engine was wrong. Not too bad to fix, as I simply had to change the bracket bolted to ther block. Had one the was right for the mount, done deal. Tranny hanger, no problems. Dropped the crossmember, bolted the new mounts to the brackets on the tranny, bolted the crossmember in place. Now I see why the mounts all broke together. The brackets on the trans were installed wrong! The front to the rear and so on. The entire powertrain is pushed forward about an inch! Reinstalled the mounts in the proper places and everything fit pefectly. Started the car to move it back to it's place in the driveway. What a difference! Right from the start I could hear a huge difference in the noise transferred to the chassis. I'd drivin this car for a few years this way, it was so noisy!.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Sirdeuce

Next on the agenda is the struts. I have a Ground Control spring set for the P.O.S. . Need to cut the top of the struts off and weld on the screwed strut tops from an MR2 I have laying around so I can install cartridges. The engine has a modded TB already, headers, intake, cams and things should be doing good. I'll get pics on the strut mods as they come to be. Have to learn to operate the wife's camera, washed mine in the ocean and can't do a thing with it.

By the way Mikey, this engine is the one I had in my MR2 when you had your ITBs!
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

I love the goats on the car!! haha
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on March 10, 2012, 08:59:17 PM
By the way Mikey, this engine is the one I had in my MR2 when you had your ITBs!

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

The P.O.S. is now a white 1987 FX16 GTS. Arrived so far are the Whiteline sway bars and urethane bushings. In the process of installing them currently. Awaiting news on availability and price of coilovers, maybe BG from Great Britain, we'll see. Fall back on the Ground Control if I have to. Sorry Mike, no camera, no pics.

Sirdeuce

Ordered the BC coilovers today!!

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Still waiting on flippin' parts. Seems ordering from G.B. takes awhile.

BigMike

:popcorn:

I missed your call over the weekend. What's up?
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Finally! 2 months overdue, but they finally got here. The struts are finally here  :applaus: now let's see how long it takes me to install them.

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Ran into a few snags. Going to replace front axle bearings, install longer wheel studs and use 10mm spacers to get clearance for running negative camber. Tires rub at max neg camber setting. Whiteline bushings are in. Whiteline sway bars are in. Installing WEB cams 294 grind and detailing a few items in the engine bay. The heat has boiled my motivation away though, so 2 more weeks.

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Bearings are ordered. Why am I not excited about getting this thing on the road??