Bevin's MGB Motivational Thread

Started by BigMike, June 02, 2010, 07:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Blane525

:huh: OWOWOWOWOWWow OK Chee the back up and go over the year and model of the engines ... baby steps for me sorry i will learn  :hammerhead: thanks for all of your info in advance :bowdown: keep it coming and soon the mg will be  :burnout: with the rest of the rice rocket's :eyebrow:

BigMike

-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

I plugged in some basic specs into CarTest, taking data from here. That site says the weight of the MGB is 2000 pounds, so I just went with the same number.

Using the red engine in the above dyno with a S2000 6-speed (F20C version).

Results using 13x50x225 tires:
0-60: 4.5 seconds
0-100: 10.4 secs
1/4 mile: 12.8 @ 114.7 MPH
Top Speed: 172 (redline limited)                 

Results using 13x40x225 tires:
0-60: 4.3 seconds
0-100: 10.1 secs
1/4 mile: 12.8 @ 112.4 MPH
Top Speed: 157 (redline limited)

The setup desperately needs a lower final drive. This wouldn't be that hard with the rear end in the FR configuration (using S2000 trans and rear axle). The stock 4.1:1 S2000 rear diff is waaaaaay too tall for this car. It needs at least like a 4.5:1 or maybe a 5:1 if you want to run 15" or 16" tires. With the 4.1:1, you'll be limited to 13" wheels pretty much. Also I have no idea if a 13x40x225 exists, I am just trying out some practical numbers.

Screen Shots:
1st pic is the car data I used
2nd pic is with the 50-series profile tires
3rd pic is with the 40-series profile tires
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Some notes:

- Sorry I keep forgetting the year of the MGB, so I guessed on the 1972. :headscratch:
- It is likely that the actual car will have more than just 55%

Here is the same car running the B16A 5-speed transaxle in a mid-engine configuration.

I adjusted the tire size to match approximately the same redline top speed (for a more even comparison)

Results using 14x60x225 tires:
0-60: 4.2 seconds
0-100: 10.1 secs
1/4 mile: 12.6 @ 115.2 MPH
Top Speed: 172 (redline limited)                 

Results using 14x50x225 tires:
0-60: 4.1 seconds
0-100: 9.9 secs
1/4 mile: 12.6 @ 116.4 MPH
Top Speed: 159 (redline limited)

1st pic: Specs with 45% weigh over front axle (it's a mid engine now). Also not engine location difference.
2nd pic: 60-series tires
3rd pic: 50-series tires

The verdict:
So pretty much no matter what you do, if the car weighs around 2000 lbs and has 240 to 250 HP, you're gonna run mid to high 12s in the quarter. HOLY CRAP MAN!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

BigMike

Hey Bevin,

Listen, this is what my car is doing stock right now. Even if you had just 200 HP -- ran the stock H22A engine -- you will SMOKE ME!! And I LOVE my car, it has enough power to get me in a LOT of trouble! It is a LOT of fun to drive in the mountains right now. Yes there is a lot more potential for my engine once I start modifying it, but honestly speaking, I have enough fun in the hills to keep my mind off of the measly 145 HP. :yesnod: :thumbs: I can't imagine how fast your car will be with 55 more HP and 400 pounds less weight. WOW :o :o :o

My Car Stock 145HP (14x60x195 tires)     
0-60: 7.2 seconds
0-100: 18.6 secs
1/4 mile: 15.3 @ 90.8 MPH
Top Speed: 136 (drag limited)
Time to Top Speed: 117.82 secs

Bevin's car with Stock H22A 200HP (14x50x225 tires)
0-60: 5.2 seconds
0-100: 11.6 secs
1/4 mile: 13.4 @ 116.4 MPH
Top Speed: 142 (redline limited)
Time to Top Speed: 25.14 secs

1st pic is the specs of my car right now as it sits outside my room
2nd pic is how my car performs on paper

3rd pic is the MGB with a 100% stock H22A with 5spd + mid-engine
4th pic is how this MGB performs on paper

And lastly, the 5th pic is a drag race between my car (Green), the MGB with a stock H22A 200 HP engine (Teal), and the MGB with the built G23 (249 HP). I super-imposed the resulting 1/4 mile results for comparison. The numbers to the left are occurring at the exact moment the G23-powered MGB hits 1/4 mile. Check out the G-force (acceleration) comparison! wow

Ask Chee if he thinks a 13 second street car with street tires is fast or not
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

My question is, does the block used bolt to any existing FR transmission? Or is it strictly FWD?
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

Quote from: Sirdeuce on November 20, 2010, 10:17:28 AM
My question is, does the block used bolt to any existing FR transmission? Or is it strictly FWD?
Negative. AFAIK it will only mate to a FWD Prelude transaxle, that for some reason I don't know about, people don't like. So there is a company (see Chee's post) that makes an adapter to run an Integra transaxle with the Prelude engine.

As for a RWD, Bevin would need to get a Prelude bellhousing and a S2000 bellhousing and make a hybrid, or use a Toyota trany like a W55 or W58 from a Supra. I'm sure there are many other options (Miata trans?) and it's also possible to build a thin bellhousing adapter (like the ones Chee mentioned) depending on the length of the input shaft of whatever trany he goes with.
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

I wonder if KEP would make the proper adapter plate. I know they make adapters for just about everything to mate to a VW trans.

Blane525

This is turning out to be a very nice little build :psss: this is great info.. :dunno: where to start cause i need the model and year of these parts :doh:

Sirdeuce

You might consider one of the esier swaps for a FR set up. How about a Nissan SR20Det? Nissan Sylvia! The Toyota 3SGTE, parts are not too hard to find for a FR setup. The J-spec Altezza was powered by a dual VVT-i and produced 250 hp! N/A! Both the engines mentioned are very capable of 300 + hp with just tuning! Both engines also have high torque output! Maybe one of the newer V6's!? Lightweight, gobs of power, and relatively easy to get.

Blane525

:coffee: I will have to have some more ! start reading the rice burner hot rod mag :dunno: just one engine easy to get parts and easy to work on NO ISUZU!

Sirdeuce

How about the Mazda 13B or 20B? The 20B is the 3 rotor. Or, if you sell a kidney and a lung, going with the 4 rotor  from SCOOT?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2URDUVExzNo

http://www.youtube.com/v/2URDUVExzNo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6

Sirdeuce

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤