What roads have you driven, or want to drive?

Started by Sirdeuce, July 15, 2010, 09:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirdeuce

Any favorite raods you've driven and would suggest to others. Like Hecker pass(been about 20 years since I've even seen this road).  Used to be a fun road. I was told to try 41 off 46 after Cholame. I like the short drive up the hill to my house. Burrough valley road can be a LOT of fun if noone else is there. Watts Valley, Maxon Sample to tollhouse. These are my daily commute.  Millerton road between 168 and Auberry is an absolute blast. Take a drive all the way around Pine Flat resevoir. Let's see where we've been and where we want to go.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

I've always wondering what George Smith Rd/Mistletone Rd/Sand Creek Rd is like between Squaw Valley and Miramonte

Also check out Blackrock Rd just north of Block Rock Reservoir. I wonder if that is a dirt road. Look at it near the GPS coordinates of 36.94312, -119.0137, or by clicking here. Can you say SWITCH BACKS???
-/_/___/__________\___\_\-
|______________________|
|-------\___________/------|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

My 1987 Supercharged 4A-powered 6-speed MR2

BigMike

Also, a friend from the Toys-4-Fun club and also a member on our Marlin Crawler forum told me about the road connecting Patterson to San Jose.

Take a look at this one:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Quimby+Rd&daddr=Unknown+road+to:CA-130+E%2FSan+Antonio+Valley+Rd+to:37.461778,-121.190186&geocode=FeKROQIdivu9-A%3BFTrGOQIdVt-_-A%3BFVCMOgId7TPC-A%3B&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=2&mrsp=3&sz=10&sll=37.514083,-121.459351&sspn=0.783198,1.229095&ie=UTF8&ll=37.381616,-121.47789&spn=0.451221,0.891953&z=11

Apparently this is the tallest peak in the area and there is an observatory up there.

Here is a Wikipedia page for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hamilton_%28California%29

Apparently it's a REALLY GREAT road, and beings how I am visiting SJ often, I am quite anxious to try it. But I wanted to get some seat time in the MR2 to make sure it's ready. I'd hate to break down up there 4 hours from home
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Drove to Atascadero to see the kid and go fishin'. Tried 41 between 46 and Atascadero. A lot of the road can be fun! Sections of undulating curves and even a low speed turn( 15mph signed, yeah right) A decent mid range cruise road with some fun sections. Doesn't seem like a highly traveled road for the CHP, I think they keep to 46. Traffic is light but slow, easy to get around. Like to hear one of Mikes reviews on this one.
"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on wakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

BigMike

|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Tacoma, with a Dana 35 strapped in the bed.

BigMike

I drove our Infiniti out 46 but then took 41 to Morrow Bay. That is a good road!
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Imagine how it would be if you were familiar. Learn those curves!

STUPID FAST

BigMike

Let's pave our own road like that and then charge toll to drive it, no speed limit
|______________________|
```````````````````````       

R135
└┼┼┤

Sirdeuce

Drive up Ashlan 'til it turns left, stay on that road 'til it 'T's.
Turn right on Sample road.
Turn right on Tollhouse road.
Turn right on Burrough Valley road.
Turn righ on Maxon.
Turn right on Pittman Hill.
Rinse, repeat. Should be a pacifier for that urge to go to Germany for the 'Ring. I guarranty you won't do this one in under 8 minutes!

Sirdeuce

We've driven Poerhouse road between Auberry and North Fork as a group. And then out towards the pools. But I don't hear much talk about old Tollhouse road. Anyone like that road? And just for shits and giggles, try the loop around Pine Flat! Loads of fun to be had there!

FelipeStalvey

Quote from: Sirdeuce on October 08, 2011, 10:16:47 AM
Drive up Ashlan 'til it turns left, stay on that road 'til it 'T's.
Turn right on Sample road.
Turn right on Tollhouse road.
Turn right on Burrough Valley road.
Turn righ on Maxon.
Turn right on Pittman Hill.
Rinse, repeat. Should be a pacifier for that urge to go to Germany for the 'Ring. I guarranty you won't do this one in under 8 minutes!
WHAT DO YOU SAY?

Sirdeuce

101 south to 46 west. On our way to Cambria/Cayucos. A short bit of a road called 'Old Creek road'.  Could be a lot of fun with the right car. I had a chest of Tackle and fish in the back, not tied down. A few tight switchbacks and some decent bends.  It's a nice little monotony breaker. Take 101 south (reference Paso Robles) to 46 ,Cambria exit. Take 46 in 'til you see Old Creek road, turn left. It takes you to 1 somewhere south of Cayucos. I'll get some mile counts to post next time I go.

Sirdeuce

If you get a chance to go to Hawai'i there are a few roads that are fun. Maui has a few, but the most famous is the "Road to Hana". I've had the pleasure to drive this road without traffic and it's a blast! If the traffic isn't bad it can be a lot of fun there too. On the big island highway 11, Volcano highway, is tons of fun! Just don't get caught speeding.